Tapo C310: Remove ethernet connection plug from camera?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-07 07:42:40 - last edited 2021-09-03 03:39:54
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The majority of users probably use a wireless connection for this camera, not a cabled ethernet connection.

Can you cut-off/remove the ethernet connection plug from the camera without affecting its operation?

Removal of this connector would greatly improve fixing the camera unit cables through walls as you would then be able to drill a much smaller hole for the power cable only.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C310: Remove ethernet connection plug from camera?-Solution
2021-09-03 03:39:40 - last edited 2021-09-03 03:47:07

Hello everyone, 

Firstly I'd like to thank @Jopprinsen  for sharing his use of camera Ethernet cable. 

Although cutting off the Ethernet cable does not affect the performance of Tapo C310 if you always use a wireless connection, this is not very recommended. As removing the cable may affect the waterproof and more important that will affect the device warranty, for local RMA details please check from here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/replacement-warranty/

If you have to cut that cable, please make sure the bared cable is properly sealed using waterproof tape or in other ways. 

Personally I would recommend you to leave that cable, and bind or fix it to somewhere and seal the Ethernet plug if possible, this could also work as a back-up.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Tapo C310: Remove ethernet connection plug from camera?
2021-07-08 09:31:48

@snapdragon  

If camera works outdoor the Ethernet connection should be more stable, you may put the Ethernet cable in the house as a back-up. 

Many thanks for your suggestion, we will record your feedback for further evaluation.

Options
2021-07-29 13:02:47
Doesn't answer the question!
Options
2021-07-29 14:44:41

I asked the same question on another forum (retailer). I received two answers both assuring me you could cut off the Ethernet connection cable with no detrimental effect to the camera operating wirelessly.

Options
2021-07-29 19:09:55

@snapdragon 

Who try it first ? 😅

Options
2021-08-25 12:55:20

@jeremypsl 

I just cut the cable and soldered on my own extension. Still works flawlessly over WiFi. Here's what the cable looks like on the inside. There are 6 wires. 4 for the Ethernet and two for power. 

I trimmed the 4 Ethernet cables and soldered on my extension to the red (+) and black (-) wires

On the other side of the cable I reattached the DC Jack and plugged it in using the included power supply.

Options
2021-08-26 07:40:58

@snapdragon  Thank you. Very useful

Options
Re:Tapo C310: Remove ethernet connection plug from camera?-Solution
2021-09-03 03:39:40 - last edited 2021-09-03 03:47:07

Hello everyone, 

Firstly I'd like to thank @Jopprinsen  for sharing his use of camera Ethernet cable. 

Although cutting off the Ethernet cable does not affect the performance of Tapo C310 if you always use a wireless connection, this is not very recommended. As removing the cable may affect the waterproof and more important that will affect the device warranty, for local RMA details please check from here:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/replacement-warranty/

If you have to cut that cable, please make sure the bared cable is properly sealed using waterproof tape or in other ways. 

Personally I would recommend you to leave that cable, and bind or fix it to somewhere and seal the Ethernet plug if possible, this could also work as a back-up.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 8103

Replies: 7

Related Articles