Votes

Dark mode for tapo/kasa app

Votes

2021-07-09 18:21:26 - last edited Monday

Hi. 

I have Googled about this and it appeared nobody cares about having dark mode on both app. I have been annoyed by the white launch page and GUI for quite some time. Whenever I was trying to peek at the camera on tapo app upon notifications in the middle of the night, I'm so annoyed by the blinding white interface. Is there a plan to introduce dark mode in near future? 

Thanks you. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Dark mode for tapo/kasa app-Solution
Monday - last edited Вчера

Quick News Everyone!

Dark mode is available for the Tapo App on version 3.3.107 (and later versions), which is currently rolling out in phases. Do not hesitate to update the App when you receive the update notice! Let us know what do you think about it! cool

How to switch the App to dark mode? 

On the Tapo App, go to Me -> Appearance. Three options are available: Light, Dark, Follow System.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
27 Reply
Re:Dark mode for tapo/kasa app
2021-07-22 12:17:00

@Andrekua 

I agree, dark mode would be a great addition and much easier on the eyes at night.

Options
2021-10-06 02:55:05

I agree, I have been using Kasa/TPlink app & products (and adding) for almost two years, and have been scratching my head for a while that this has never been added.  In fact, its why I am making my first post ever LOL.  In a dark or even dimly lit room in the evening/night, if you have to open the app, it is BLINDING, even with my phone or tablets screen settings dimmed all the way down.

Can't see why it can't be added, its a pretty simple add on.  And most other major products/companies have gone forward with this.

Thank you for listening.

Options
2021-11-03 05:37:41

@Andrekua You can get Google Home then add your kasa devices to it. Google Home supports dark mode. Problem solved. 

Pretty silly that kasa blinds everyone with white light for you to turn your light on. They don't seem to be in a hurry to make this simple fix.  So I guess we have to work around it. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1534/

Options
Re:Dark mode for tapo/kasas
2022-03-17 19:01:19

@Ddjjii still can't view dark mode in Google home.  Not possible to view on phone.  

Options
2023-01-04 09:20:39 - last edited Monday

Hello everyone, 

Thank you very much for sharing new ideas with the community. 

For Android users, you can try to get dark mode by using Andriod developer mode(  depends on your phone),

Dark mode for tapo/kasa app (Part 2)

Shared by forum user Buster_B 

'  Soooo... in the meantime, the hidden developer mode of Android phones comes in handy.

Got to settings, about phone, Software Information, touch on the Build Number till you go into developer mode.

Go into developer options in the bottom of settings at that point, and do a search for "dark mode", which will take you to the dark mode switch that you can throw to force any application into dark mode (even if it is not made to support it).  And when you do, the Kasa app looks like this:

Hey... it's something.'

Feel free to leave your comment or vote for this feature if you also love this feature, thank you!!

Options
RE:Dark mode for tapo/kasa app
2023-01-05 08:09:00
Need feature
Options
2023-01-09 17:27:27

Yes. And an option to settings with Auto,On,Off

Options
2023-03-07 07:21:02

@Solla-topee 

That worked but now all the apps are forced. It would be awesome that Kasa and Tapo apps had its own dark mode

Options
2023-03-17 13:35:24

@Solla-topee please, please don't consider this to be the long term solution you force your users to use. 

this is a universal, systemic "quick fix" (not a solution) that potentially breaks UX (or worse, functionality) for other apps just so that people aren't blinded by your app at night

it's 2023. at this point dark mode is a feature of a Minimum Viable Product, not a stretch goal

Options
RE:Dark mode for tapo/kasa app
2023-03-17 13:37:32
this is a necessary feature
Options

Information

Helpful: 40

Views: 7752

Replies: 27

Voters 35

+ 31 Voters