Tapo C200 ONVIF Support for Home Assistant

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-07 09:26:28 - last edited 2021-10-11 11:14:24
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.11

I have a camera from another vendor support ONVIF Profile S which which works well with the Home Assistant ONVIF integration.

I recently bought a Tapo C200 which supports ONVIF Profile S, but it is not discovered by Home Assistant.

What do I need to do to get it to work with Home Assistant ONVIF integration?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C200 ONVIF Support for Home Assistant-Solution
2021-10-11 04:05:18 - last edited 2021-10-11 11:14:24

Hi @Solla-topee,

I was able to manually configure the C200 on Home Assistant using the ONVIF integration using the manual configuration option in the ONVIF integration.

I would like to make some suggestions to improve the app

• When you go to Me > Help & Feedback, please make the Feedback (or Contact) option visable on this page rather than having to go to the device category before being able to give feedback.
  • Make the help topics searchable in Me > Help & Feedback
  • Under camera setting, include information on the actual URLs for the RTSP or ONVIF video streams; I came across port 2020 for the ONVIF stream by accident and I am not sure whether it is documented.
  • It seems that the C200 does not have a web interface. It is great that the camera does not rely on cloud storage (privacy), but it still relies on TP-Link cloud account. Adding a web interface would make it an even better camera.

One thing I am still confused about and would appreciate insights is that a camera from another vendor was automatically recognized as an ONVIF camera, while TP-Link Tapo C200 was not. Also, I was able to add the other camera through the HomeKit integration (actually, I didn't have to do anything, Home Assistant provided me with the QR codes in their notification without me asking for it). Again, I am not sure what feature in the other camera allowed me to do that. The camera is not advertised as HomeKit compliant and I think it has all to do with the Home Assistant HomeKit integration.

Thoughts?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 ONVIF Support for Home Assistant
2021-10-11 02:45:38 - last edited 2021-10-11 02:51:12

Good day@tyo , 

If Home assistant could not discover tapo camera, I suggest confirming computer running Home assistant and tapo camera is the in the same local network, and you could try to ping camera on that pc (How to Use the Ping Command) to check if camera is accessible. 

As home assistant is a third-party app,  we have very limited info for further troubleshooting, you could try to post some details on the Home assistant forum for some further help:  https://community.home-assistant.io/t/use-pan-tilt-function-for-tp-link-tapo-c200-from-home-assistant/170143

We found a video online to use view camera using home assistant that may do some help: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50v11ib2XMQ

Options
Re:Tapo C200 ONVIF Support for Home Assistant-Solution
2021-10-11 04:05:18 - last edited 2021-10-11 11:14:24

Hi @Solla-topee,

I was able to manually configure the C200 on Home Assistant using the ONVIF integration using the manual configuration option in the ONVIF integration.

I would like to make some suggestions to improve the app

• When you go to Me > Help & Feedback, please make the Feedback (or Contact) option visable on this page rather than having to go to the device category before being able to give feedback.
  • Make the help topics searchable in Me > Help & Feedback
  • Under camera setting, include information on the actual URLs for the RTSP or ONVIF video streams; I came across port 2020 for the ONVIF stream by accident and I am not sure whether it is documented.
  • It seems that the C200 does not have a web interface. It is great that the camera does not rely on cloud storage (privacy), but it still relies on TP-Link cloud account. Adding a web interface would make it an even better camera.

One thing I am still confused about and would appreciate insights is that a camera from another vendor was automatically recognized as an ONVIF camera, while TP-Link Tapo C200 was not. Also, I was able to add the other camera through the HomeKit integration (actually, I didn't have to do anything, Home Assistant provided me with the QR codes in their notification without me asking for it). Again, I am not sure what feature in the other camera allowed me to do that. The camera is not advertised as HomeKit compliant and I think it has all to do with the Home Assistant HomeKit integration.

Thoughts?

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-11 11:14:15

@tyo Third-party platform should have its own way to discover a device, not through ONVIF protocol.

Thank you for your suggestions on the APP improvement, I like the idea of ONVIF/ RTSP URLs, I will pass along your feedback to appropriate team for further evaluation. 

We have some guide for or mentioning how to use rtsp and onvif on tapo camera: 

How can I connect my Tapo camera to a NAS:   https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2748/

Tapo Camera RTSP streaming: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2680/

Options
2021-10-11 18:43:23 - last edited 2021-10-11 18:44:21

Which detection is supported by onvif ? Only basic motions ?

I want to integrate my C310 in HA and have AI notifications in it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4906

Replies: 4

Related Articles