Any special DNS outbound address needed for Tapo camera or app for PiHole

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-29 16:22:17 - last edited 2022-01-05 10:41:30
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi!

Recently I installed a PiHole device which acts as a DNS server for my house.  All devices in my wifi connect through this DNS Server to resolve their addresses.

Since deploying it, I noticed I cannot connect to my tapo camera using the app on my phone any more.  

Can I have a list of which DNS servers the device or app needs to access, so I can add them to a whitelist (it would also be good to have them documented online)

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Any special DNS outbound address needed for Tapo camera or app for PiHole-Solution
2022-01-01 15:57:22 - last edited 2022-01-05 10:41:30

@Solla-topee 

I figured it out, once I added these to the whitelist, it worked 

• (\.|^)tplink\.com$
  • tplinkcloud.com    
  • tplinknbu.com

Services and devices will often publish a list of all of the ports and URLs they need to access so that network administrators can whitelist the approved addresses.  TPLink / Tapo should publish the same for their devices.

It would look like this:

TP-Link Cameras need to send data using the following ports

They also need to be able to access the following URLs or WildCards

* Domain1

* Domain2

* DomainB

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Any special DNS outbound address needed for Tapo camera or app for PiHole
2021-12-30 02:18:55

Hello @FoxDeploy 

Tapo camera does not require a specific DNS server, it usually uses router DNS server or some public DNS servers. 

Can you set up and allow  camera use router DNS or public DNS server like 8.8.8.8 and see if that helps

To isolate the set-up failure, please check if camera shows up on router (DHCP) client list or if camera get an IP address from router after set up. 

Thank you.

Options
2021-12-31 14:58:45

@Solla-topee Thank you for your reply!

I meant are there any addresses that we know the TPLink camera needs access to in order to connect?

For instance if TP Link camera need to send data to *.tp-link.com or *.tapo.net or whatever, this is the information I am looking for :)

Options
2022-01-01 11:51:00 - last edited 2022-01-01 11:51:36

Hello @FoxDeploy 

Sorry I do not have the full list of domain and IP addresses that camera uses, even there is one, I do not think that is accessible or open to end users.  May I know did camera obtain a valid IP address from router after setup, if so, I could escalate your case to our seniors and see if they have any suggestion. 

Can I know your detailed network topology as well? Thank you.

Options
Re:Any special DNS outbound address needed for Tapo camera or app for PiHole-Solution
2022-01-01 15:57:22 - last edited 2022-01-05 10:41:30

@Solla-topee 

I figured it out, once I added these to the whitelist, it worked 

• (\.|^)tplink\.com$
  • tplinkcloud.com    
  • tplinknbu.com

Services and devices will often publish a list of all of the ports and URLs they need to access so that network administrators can whitelist the approved addresses.  TPLink / Tapo should publish the same for their devices.

It would look like this:

TP-Link Cameras need to send data using the following ports

They also need to be able to access the following URLs or WildCards

* Domain1

* Domain2

* DomainB

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-01-05 14:02:06 - last edited 2022-01-05 14:03:57

Hello, @FoxDeploy 

Glad to hear that you were able to find the blocked URLs and port and sorted that out,  thank you for sharing the solution here.

Thank you for your proposal, personally I think it is unlikely to make the domain or ports public, we usually escalate the case and our seniors also need to check that from debug tool and logs. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1130

Replies: 5

Related Articles