Squeaking switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Squeaking switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Squeaking switch
Squeaking switch
2022-01-02 22:45:36
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This is the first Kasa switch I have installed. Seems to function great, connected to google assistant with no issues.

When I push the button on the switch it squeaks tho. Is this normal? It's pretty annoying.

Any way to fix it?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Squeaking switch
2022-01-04 01:27:29 - last edited 2022-01-04 01:27:46

Hello@ThaDraGun 

Smart switch will have a click sound when you manually press it, but not squeak sound. 

Does the panel properly fit when you install the panel? Make sure panel is properly fit or installed. How to remove the panel of smart switch and smart in-wall outlet

Do you mean switch itself has a squeaking sound when you manually press the switch? Can I have a video showing the issue, you may share via Google Drive link.Thank you

Options
2022-01-04 02:22:56

@Solla-topee 

The button actually squeaks when I press it. Only when it's pressed in a certain spot. I couldn't figure out how to get it on Google drive. It said the video was unsupported so I uploaded it to YouTube.

I took the cover plate off thinking that might be why it was squeaking. Didn't fix it. After the video I unscrewed the switch and pressed it when it wasn't attached to the box and it also squeaked.

https://youtube.com/shorts/r6x8BQ_WT68?feature=share

Options
2022-01-04 21:16:56 - last edited 2022-01-04 21:20:47

@ThaDraGun 
I had the same squeaking sound on a few switches - when switch is not tided properly or beveled, it makes this noise. Try to remove a cover plate, loosen screws and the noise will be gone. At least it worked in my case. Also, are you sure this noise is comming from switch and not from loosen electric box?
Solution: reinstall switch properly. 

Options
2022-01-04 22:06:38

@Yokushka 

I took the cover plate off thinking that might be why it was squeaking. Didn't fix it. After the video I unscrewed the switch and pressed it when it wasn't attached to the box and it also squeaked.

When it wasn't screwed in anymore the squeak was still there but not as noticeable.

Options
2022-01-06 18:51:09

@ThaDraGun Hmmm, I re-check all my kasa switches (3 different models) and majority of them produce a small squicking noise. Honestly I never realized it before your post. 
After discussion with few people we found that squicking noise is not so loud as regular switch clicks and virtually not disturbing or notisable for regular Joe with normal expectations. However you are right, it could be designed better. WD40?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1307

Replies: 5