HS220 buzzing unless at 100%

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-03 18:27:57
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I had HS200 installed on this very light switch, and I loved it. It's a dining room light witha ceiling fan with 4 lightbulb sockets. Because I wanted to save on electricity, I replaced my HS200 with this HS220. Big mistake. It makes this buzzing sound unless it's kept at 100% brightness. Also, anything below 100% causes my lightbulbs to flicker. I even ordered these dimmable lightbulbs, but I can't dim them at all. They just flicker. SYLVANIA LED Reduced Eye Strain Light Bulb, A19, 8W, 2700K, Dimmable, Soft White is what I tried. I can't return this lightswitch because I didn't keep the box. This is driving me crazy. I found others reporting the same issue, but threads were old, so I am making my own thread. Has anyone had the same issue but found a way to fix it? I could have jus stayed with my HS200, rather than paying more for HS220 that doesn't work :(

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS220 buzzing unless at 100%
2022-01-03 19:21:02

I ended up finding the answer myself. Apparently, TP-Link neglected to make this clear on this HS220, but this only works with a single light bulb. I came across Amazon reviews sharing this after they worked with TP-Link support, and sure enough, when I unscrewed all light bulbs but one, it worked perfectly. Of course, this still makes this switch useless to me... I wish TP-Link was more forthcoming about such a huge limitation on this device. I don't know if I can return this switch to my local store because I didn't keep the box. Not happy with TP-Link for the first time :(

Options
2022-01-04 00:56:09

@tswielder 

It is possible smart bulb does not support on Triac dimming type(HS220 is a Triac based dimmer) please check for  Case2 When there are more than one bulbs, there may be a flickering issue during the dimming process that may help explain: 

What should I do if the HS220 cannot dim the light properly?

You could try to use HS220 with a different light fixture/ bulb.

Options
2022-01-04 01:33:37

@Solla-topee With all due respect, telling a consumer to look for or change a compatible light fixture is not an appropriate solution or suggestion. TP-Link needs to be transparent about this product's limitations and print them on the product box and online product pages on all sales pages across retailers. A simple search will show you that there are a number of people who were extremely inconvenienced by this issue. I put my HS200 back in. I am not wasting any more of my time or money for this junk.

Options
2022-01-04 21:28:33

@tswielder Ok, if you have one incompatible bulb, switch can work, but if you have two at the same time, it could not work properly. It is what everybody is trying to tell you.
On another side I would be happy if kasa switches were more compatible with wider variety of bulbs, but we have what we have. For the price there is no competition for now.
Tuay clone switches sold in NA are not better at all and they are just pennies cheaper.  If you need quality, than go Philips for 3 times the price.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1652

Replies: 4