All my smart switches keep factory resetting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-03 22:39:11
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have about 20 smart switches throughout my home. every so often when I add new switches all my switches seem to factory reset. One time i noticed it happened after I unlinked my google account from Kasa, another time it was right after I asked google to turn off a light. 

any suggestions? Its a real pain to add 20 devices every few months. 

my wifi setup is very good, 3 unifi accesspoints in a smaller home. everyroom has great coverage. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:All my smart switches keep factory resetting
2022-01-04 01:21:35

Hello @Jordi992 

May I how did you find Smart switch factory reset, how about the Wifi led status on each switch at that time

1. Please confirm Kasa smart switch has strong WiFi signal  as a Case1- step3

What should I do if I cannot control my Kasa device?

2. Check if there is any Advanced WiFi settings on main Router, try to turn off to help isolate the issue: 
-  Band steering(Smart Connect)/ Channel optimization(Wi-Fi Optimizing)or Mesh/ Fast roaming

Can you help provide information here to help locate the issue, when issue happen

1- can you control switch manually at that time, how about the WiFi led status on switch

2- can you control switch on Kasa app locally when phone is connected to home WiFi network

3- can you control switch on Kasa app remote when phone is on LTE mobile data or non- local wifi network

4- Does all the switch got the issue at the same time? how often does that happen?

Before switch reset, was there any power outage, or Wi-Fi disconnection on router, router reboot? 

What is the model of main router.

The network topology, is it Mesh, or Router+ extender. e.g Router model XX <Ethernet>Unify AP <Wi-Fi>HS200

Thank you. 

Options
2022-01-04 01:39:10

@Solla-topee 

1. Yes the wifi signal is strong. 

2. The network isnt too complicated. Its a PFsense router, and 3 unifi Access points, 2 InwallHD, and one AP lite 

Can you help provide information here to help locate the issue, when issue happen

1- can you control switch manually at that time, how about the WiFi led status on switch (Yes I can turn the lights off and on manually, Green and yellow lights)

2- can you control switch on Kasa app locally when phone is connected to home WiFi network (No, the apps says Device Unreachable)

3- can you control switch on Kasa app remote when phone is on LTE mobile data or non- local wifi network (No, the apps says Device Unreachable)

4- Does all the switch got the issue at the same time?(Yes) how often does that happen? (about once a month, 3 times since i installed them)

Before switch reset, was there any power outage, or Wi-Fi disconnection on router, router reboot? (No power outage, my Router and access points are all on a UPS. Today I installed a dimmer switch, added to Kasa, and then a 2way switch added to Kasa, I asked google to turn on the 2 way switch, google said it cant find it, then everything except or the 2 i setup today stopped working) I noticed my google home account was disconnected from Kasa. 

What is the model of main router. PFsense Router, 2X Unify UAP-IW-HD and 1xUAP-AC-Lite

The network topology, is Modem <Ethernet> PFsense <Ethernet> POE Switch <Ethernet> Unify UAP-IW-HD <Wi-Fi> HS200

or <Ethernet> Unify UAP-IW-HD <Wi-Fi> HS200

or <Ethernet> Unify UAP-AC-Lite <Wi-Fi> HS200

The first time Everything disconnected was when i unlinked my Google account with Kasa. Might that be the issue? 

Options
2022-01-04 21:09:35 - last edited 2022-01-04 21:11:09

@Jordi992 No worry. You have Ubiquiti equipment. The issue is in Unifi Network Application 6.5.55 - multiple devices are losing connection in this revision related firmware, 
Just roll back to any version below 6.5.53 and you will be more or less fine. Unifi these days is not the same what it was even a year ago. Sorry, but I am on the same boat. I started my migration to Omada to resolve all these issues. Best wishes.

Options
2022-01-05 02:57:20 - last edited 2022-01-05 03:11:32

Hello @Jordi992 

1.  So far it does not seem to be related to Google,  you could try to unlink Google account on Kasa APP and see if the issue could be reproduced,

When 1st time happen, did you also add any new smart device in your network at that time? 

2. This time when you add new HS220, do you mean after 2* new HS220 being added in the network, other old switches ,all of them flash amber and green? Or Flashing red?

Confirm Router DHCP/ IP pool  could assign enough IP addresses.

Confirm that is not caused by Unify AP maximum number of Wi-Fi clients.

3. Can you share the mac address of the new added 2 devices, thank you. 

This is quite unusual, I would like to escalate your case through email, please check email later. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 753

Replies: 4