Introducing TP-Link Tapo L900-5 / L920-5 Smart Wi-Fi Light Strip

2022-01-19 13:34:06 - last edited 2023-12-25 03:47:56
Model: Tapo L920-5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone! 

Here come the new members of the Tapo Smart Home product family. Today we are happy to introduce to you Multicolor Smart Wi-Fi Light Strip Tapo L900-5 and Tapo L920-5 for your home ambiance and decoration ideas!

Video : TP-Link Tapo L920-5/L900-5 Smart Wi-Fi Light Strip

Video: Tapo L900-5 Unboxing and Demo

Control Anywhere with Tapo APP

Connect to your home secured 2.4GHz network on Tapo APP, you are free to control it anywhere and anytime.

5-Meter Length with Cuttable Design

Light strip is 5-meter long with 3M peel-and-stick adhesive on the back. You could cut it to the designed length for more flexible installations.

*Once cut, it cannot be reattached. Prevent accidental shocks by removing its power and then cutting along the strip’s indicator lines

Multi-Color

Select and preset your favorite color for the smart strip, adjust brightness with dimming capability.  Fill in your room with vibrant colors as the mood takes you.

Light Effects

Multiple predefined Light Effects in the app for your home ambiance ideas, or create your own light effects with preferable colors.

Sync to Sound

Picking up surrounding music through your mobile device, the lights will sync to the frequency and the beat of the music, creating a mini-festival in your home.

Voice Control

Hand-free with voice control working with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa

Superior RGBIC ( Tapo L920-5 only)

Thanks to Tapo L920-5 built-in IC chip, you could now paint color for different segments of a smart strip and have dynamic beautiful light effects.

PU Coating ( Tapo L920-5 only)

Durable PU coating prevents moisture or dust intrusion (not suitable for outdoor).

Tapo &  Kasa Light Strip Comparison Chart 

Note:  this chat is for reference only,  detailed spec or feature information on tp-link official website shall prevail

Features Tapo L900-5 Tapo L920-5 KL430
Multi-Color
​Light Temperature (White bead) - -
Color Painting (IC chip) -
Sync-to-Sound -
Light Effects
Voice Control
Length 5m 5m 6.6 ft /2 m (Extendable to 33 ft /10 m max)
APP  Tapo Tapo Kasa

Where to buy?

Both Tapo L900-5 and Tapo L920-5 are sold mainly in European countries. Check if this model is available on the local TP-Link official website first, if yes, search for 'Tapo smart light strip' in the local stores or online shops.

For more information,  please visit tp-link official website for Tapo L900-5 Tapo L920-5 .

Options
22 Reply
Re:Introducing TP-Link Tapo L900-5 / L920-5 Smart Wi-Fi Light Strip
2022-03-21 15:19:16

@Solla-topee 

Hi 

Is it possible to use this led strip in a place where there is no WI-FI, maybe 4G/5G but not guaranteed? 

I would like to create 3 DJ tables with their own led strip and their own configuration but I'm not sure that we will have a Wi-Fi access everywhere we go... 

Regards,

Dimitri 

Options
2022-03-22 01:07:11

Hi    @dvdbremt 

I'm afraid the smart strip need to link a Wi-Fi network ( 2.4Ghz secured wifi network : a wifi router recommended, hotspot wifi could be unstable) before it shows up in the APP and being managed. You may need some pocket wifi router if o use the smart light strip. 

Options
2022-04-02 13:22:57

@Solla-topee

Hi

I've purchased three L900-5 light strips for my kitchen. They seem to work really well and are great value for money!. I have one major problem though:

• I understand how to edit a preset to a custom color using the color wheel, and I see the RGB hex value generated from the color wheel when doing so.
  • However, I want exactly the same custom color preset on each of the three light strips.
  • I could do this if there was a way to manually set the RGB Hex values but there doesn't appear to be a way of doing this - am I missing something?

Unfortunately, I've found trying to replicate the same RGB Hex value on a preset using the Tapo app color wheel impossible.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Con

Options
2022-04-07 12:11:41

@CJ64 Hello Con, 

Thank you for the feedback, it seems that selecting the same color value for all power strips is not that easy now, so far we will need to move the finger in the area of the color wheel for until a specific color value or select the available 5 colors below wheel panel in Preset.

It is welcome to leave this improvement in Tapo Feature Request Board so users could comment and vote(thumb-up)for it, this helps to organize your ideas all together and share with our team later. 

Options
2022-04-26 08:36:59

@Solla-topee 

Can the kl430 led strip also be switched on and off with a conventional wall switch without necessarily using the app or the integrated controller box?

Options
2022-04-30 19:17:09 - last edited 2022-04-30 19:17:39

@mrcpiccolo Thank you for being interested with power strip, as tapo or kasa power strip use its own power adapter, I'm afaid we can't make an automation between smart power strip with non- smart / conventional switch. You could set schedule for power strips and turn then ON/ OFF at certain time or use Alexa/ Google voice command to turn it on. 

Options
2022-05-17 16:54:17

@Solla-topee Is possible o buy extra controller/powers to use parts of strip not used?

Options
2022-05-20 08:53:09 - last edited 2022-05-20 08:56:20

@awinterstale97 Hello, 

Thank you for asking, as the note on the User Guide on the website, ' Once cut, it cannot be reattached.' , this means other part (not the part connected to controller) is not usable and can not use a power controller after it was cut.

If the power controller is faulty, you could reach our local technical support and to and see if your area could do part RMA and get the power controller replaced. 

Hope this helps.

Options
2022-06-03 14:35:55

@Solla-topee 

Anybody tried to connect 2 or more L920-5 strips together as one? I mean with one controller and additional power each 5 meters directly on strip, or by software with individual controllers. I`ll try next week when they come, but i was curious if somebody already try.

Also, i need an user to check if Light Strip Length in the settings of the app for L920 can be set to higher values than 10 m (12 m).

Thank you.

Options
2022-06-07 17:45:18

@Solla-topee So, i cant make the setup for more than 5 meters just because software is limited. Il have to put them in paralel to control 3 strips in the same time. I need to make some modification to connect power to each strip separate but that is easy.

The problem is that i cant activate the effects via google assistant, just colors and level. What vocal commands to use to activate custom or preset effects?

Thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 6423

Replies: 22