P110 plugs keep disconnecting from network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-25 23:32:22
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.7

I have multiple P110 energy monitoring smart plugs. All of them keep disconnecting after a seemingly random amount of time. Roughly betweeen 2 hours and 24 hours.

The light goes an amber looking colour and they are not connectable to in the app. They also stop recording energy usage. Sometimes (not often) they come back online and start recording again hours later, sometimes days later.

I have many other devices on my network, and don't have this issue with anything else.

I've tried - 

-Turning off all forms of beam forming and Wi-Fi enhancements

- Turning off my mesh and having wired APs only

- Forcing a fixed channel 

- Creating an SSID just for the devices which only comes out of the main router.

- Turning off all DNS filtering and firewall filtering

- Using a different make of AP

Nothing I've tried so far has made any difference, and I'm at a bit of a loss. As mentioned nothing else drops out at all. (Multiple Alexas, ring doorbells, phones, laptops, and most interestingly several Kasa TP Link smart switches (not Tapo), they are all totally solid over months)

Thanks for any help and guidance,

James

Options
9 Reply
Re:P110 plugs keep disconnecting from network
2022-01-26 01:37:30 - last edited 2022-04-21 12:14:26

Hello @James.174 

Thank you for your time with  extensive troubleshooting! If led goes amber, smart device is completely drops from the WiFi, here are some tips you could try 

1. make sure the smart device is receiving a good signal by checking the signal strength of the tapo the APP:

Device Settings -> Device info->Tap on the WI-FI Icon to check the accurate RSSI value

If the RSSI is less than -70, the signal is weak, relocate camera or AP and make sure they are close to each other

(here is a guide to check Signal strength How to check the network connection stability of a Tapo Camera)

2. Confirm Smart device firmware and Tapo APP version are up-to-date 

3. Please check the if there is advanced WiFi settings, like Band steering, Channel optimization etc, try to turn that off temporarily to help isolate issue

To help locate the issue, can you help collect some information here

1. Model of router:

Detailed network map : e.g ISP XX- Router model xx--<Ethernet> Mesh AP model xx

2. Smart device signal strength

May I know  did the plug work with router before, please share the Mac address of the plug which has the issue. thank you.

Options
2022-01-26 18:55:55 - last edited 2022-01-26 19:03:04

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your reply, here are the answers.

1.  Plug 1 - Signal strength -44 RSSI

Plug 2 - Signal strength -36 RSSI

2. Both plugs show firmware 1.0.7 and the app shows version 2.4.57

3. I've tried turning off every advanced Wi-Fi setting that I can see. From firewalls to mesh etc.

Network Map would be

Internet Router (FRITZ!Box 7530) on pass through to UniFi DreamMachine which controls the PPPoE session. I then have a few APs which are UniFi AC Pro, hard wired in.  I have tried creating a dedicated SSID which only comes from the Dream machine and another with a different name from one of the APs, but connected to either of these I get the same behaviour.

I've never had these working, and have owned them for about a month now continually trying new things.

Mac addresses are 

Plug 1 - 5C-A6-E6-D4-0C-5D

Plug 2 - 5C-A6-E6-D4-06-E8

as mentioned I have many other devices and don't see this behaviour of disconnecting with anything else.

thanks again

Options
2022-01-28 11:11:26 - last edited 2022-01-28 11:11:59

Hello @James.174 

Thanks for more case details yes

You could try to create a Guest Wi-Fi on Unity Dream Machine(if AP has this feature), or Guest Wi-Fi on the main router and link plug to that certain SSID(try to use a unique/ different SSID from the mesh network WiFi SSID)

I would like to create a support email TKID220133512 and escalate your case.  Please check your inbox later, thank you.

Options
2022-04-21 06:33:32

Hi @James.174,

was this ever resolved.  I have a P110 which won't even stay connected to my unifi network for 24 hours.  As far as smart plugs go, it's a great paper weight.

cheers

Travis.

Options
2022-04-21 06:39:45 - last edited 2022-04-21 06:40:20

Hello @Hipsi 

If your smart plug goes offline frequently( orange led) you could try some tips on # 2 of this thread and provide some case details as above and we could help look into that further, thanks!  Did the plug work fine before with the same Wi-Fi router before or  issue start since it was installed. 

Or you could start a new thread with case details for a different topic. Thank you

Options
2022-04-21 12:35:43

Hi  @Solla-topee ,

Mine doesn't display an orange LED when this happens. In fact the LED doesn't light up at all.  Does this point to something else? I can still switch it on or off with the manual button which turns the LED red and off again.  The plug is just not connected to my wifi.

It has always had this behaviour since new. I have reset it and re-added it to my account which didn't make any difference.

Options
2022-09-26 13:49:50

@Hipsi I have 4 of these and they are doing the exact same. I have a plug with nothing in it, sat next to the router. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it works great....The some random time later, it disconnects and doesn't come back on.

If I set up a schedule, it seems to keep that going fine, but its wifi connection just drops forever

Options
2022-10-15 20:37:57

@InterSimi 

Same problems here with Tapo P110.

It seems that the network drivers are buggy in this device. If the network goes down it takes really long time to connect again to the wifi.

I have Nedis plug and Shelly plug and they are working just fine at same time this Tapo P110 has really bad connectivity issues.

I like the Tapo user interface as it has perfect Finnish language, same cant say about Nedis Smartlife, bad translations in that.

Until the network problems has been fixed, I ll be continue with Shelly Plug as it has also API interface for developers.

Options
2022-10-17 08:52:39

@Sami111 

just tiny update. I have now tested simultaneously with Tapo P110, Nedis SmartLife WIFIP121FWT and Shelly Plug. When Network goes down, only Nedis is able to reconnect back online to wifi connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2623

Replies: 9

Related Articles