tp-link Deco is connecting to netflix and reddit. Why ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-10 16:52:25 - last edited 2022-02-10 16:57:37
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

At home I have a mix of Deco M9 and Deco X90 as Wi-Fi access point. My network is managed by my internet service provider box, and DNS/DHCP is managed by AdGuard Home. There, I see very regular connexions to sites that I do not use at the time of the check: netflix, reddit, amazon.com, live.com.

Here is an example:

I can guess that maybe it is used to check if Internet access is up, but I blocked these request and it had no impact.
None of my network equipment shall perform such request on its own, moreover requesting website that are tracking user activiites. 

So I really would like to understand why these requests are performed and if tp-link can prevent them. Could you confirm you also see these requests ? 

Thanks !

Options
2 Reply
Re:tp-link Deco is connecting to netflix and reddit. Why ?
2022-02-11 06:37:42

@GuiPoM 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

It is used to check if the internet access is up or not and if the online checking failed , the LED on the Deco would turn red but it would not affect the actual internet connection.

So after blocking all these DNS request, will you see Deco M9 turned red?

By the way, I see you also mentioned Deco X90 and the pictures only displayed M9 plus, did Deco X90 have the same behavior?

Options
Re:tp-link Deco is connecting to netflix and reddit. Why ?
2022-02-11 08:30:42

@TP-Link Hi

I guess that no, because all my LEDs still are green.

Here is what I blocked: 
||netflix.com^$client='192.168.1.50'
||reddit.com^$client='192.168.1.50'
||amazon.com^$client='192.168.1.50'
||youtube.com^$client='192.168.1.50'
||live.com^$client='192.168.1.50'

One DNS query per second. That is a lot. And to hosts that I do not want to share my online status with. I can understand if you ping the official tp-link website WHEN the cloud connection of the module is down, but I do not understand that constant scan which does not seem very useful.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1308

Replies: 2