Alarm went off by itself in the middle of the night

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-24 20:16:36
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Tonight the alarm of the camera went off completely by itself. I always enable only the motion detection function and never anything else. I was not even in the app on my phone.

My kid woke up in terror and stormed out of his room (where I have installed the camera) terrified saying that he heard noises. When I went there to check, the alarm was ringing. I checked the app and noticed that the alarm function was turned on and it could not be switched off from the main display, but I had to enter the "detection & alerts" tab and disable it from there. 

Any ideas what might have happened? 

Also, I read some posts online that people could potentially hack baby cameras and cameras in general, so any suggestions on how to boost the network security? The camera is connected to the wi-fi via Deco, if that additional info could be of any help.

Thank you!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Alarm went off by itself in the middle of the night
2022-02-25 01:23:04 - last edited 2022-02-25 01:43:56

Hello  @d3m4ndr3d 

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and sorry for the experience, 

Please confirm the Tapo APP is up to date, and camera firmware is also up-to-date. 

Can you help confirm some information here for investigation. 

1) Tapo APP version 

2) Model of phone and its IOS/ Android version? 

3) can you share a photo of Alarm settings, or a video showing the issue? 

4) Mac address or camera

Did you recently update phone OS, or tapo APP? 

Thank you very much

Options
2022-02-25 07:40:19

@Solla-topee 

Hello,

1) Tapo APP version - 2.4.62

2) Model of phone and its IOS/ Android version? - Samsung Galaxy S9 plus Edge, Android Version 10, Knox version 3.4.1

3) can you share a photo of Alarm settings, or a video showing the issue? - The issue is not one I can screenshot as it occurred last night and I had to disable the alarm function. It simply turned on by itself - I was not even on my phone. The alarm just went off and I disabled it through the settings, nothing more.

4) Mac address or camera - not sure what is requested here where I can find out that information.

Did you recently update phone OS, or tapo APP? - my updates are done automatically, so I cannot say for certain.

Options
2022-03-01 05:58:04 - last edited 2022-03-01 06:05:03

Hello  @d3m4ndr3d 

Please check if the issue could be reproduced or resolved right now: 

Turn ON Alarm,  then try to turn OFF Alarm by pressing the Alarm  button below the Tapo APP -> Live view page-> Alarm

If still the same, can you use the phone recording feature to record a video, and share via Google Drive link? 

I'd like to create a support email to look into that further, you could also share the video via email, please check your inbox later, thank you. 

Options
2022-03-01 06:30:20

@Solla-topee , you seem to be misunderstanding the issue. The issue is that the alarm went off by itself in the middle of the night. Probably some network interference, a bug, update malfunction or whatever, I don't know. I was asking how to improve the network security of the Tapo camera just in case.

Options
2022-03-01 07:21:32

Hello  @d3m4ndr3d 

I got your point better now, thanks for the explanation. 

The Alarm goes off when there is a Motion event (  or a sound event with Tapo Care subscription) If you have enabled SD recording, the Motion Detection clips will be saved in the SD card and could be viewed from Tapo APP→ Playback. I recommend enabling Continuous recording(Recording schedule-> Motion Detection recording/ Continuous recording) on camera so it could  record every moment in SD card, you could check the full recording when something happens. 

How to use motion detection function of my Tapo camera in Tapo app

Options
2022-03-01 07:59:01

@Solla-topee, thanks, I do not have an SD card. I only enable the motion detection setting, nothing else. Anyhow, looks like this was a one-time thing, I will update if it happens again. Would be great if you could recommend some ideas on how to increase the security of the network to make sure it is more difficult for people to hack into the camera..

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 10931

Replies: 6