Kasa and Bell HomeHub 4000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-20 15:09:44
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.11

Hello,

I recently upgraded to bell fibre internet and received a Homehub 4000 from bell.

Everything is going pretty good except for my kasa switches that lose connection all the time.

I have the switches on the guest network and it looks like they use the same band as the main 2.4 network? I have tried disabling whole home internet and playing with the bands(using a wifi scanner) without success.

is anyone else using kasa switches with HH4000? Any issues?

I tried to setup one of the kasa switch to the main network but had the same issue. My next step is to disable the guest network and see what happens. I'm trying to avoid having to reconfigure all my switches because its a pita to change dozens of them...

btw I was using all these devices before on a tp-link N600 router without issues...

Seems others are having the same issue based on a  thread I had started on redflagdeals forum

Options
7 Reply
Re:Kasa and Bell HomeHub 4000
2022-03-21 03:24:03 - last edited 2022-03-21 03:24:53

Hello  @FrancoisL 

thank you for your feedback, if the issue started since the change of router,please try to reach Homehub support and see if have any suggestions? 

For kasa unstable issue, try to turn off band-steering/ Wi-Fi or channel optimization or other wireless advanced settings and see if that helps

You could consider connect old router to the Home hub router and use it as an Access Point , and connect kasa devices to the old router (AP) and see if that helps. 

How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point?

Options
2022-03-24 17:27:04
I am investigating the same issue but it is just not switches, it is the bulbs and plugs as well. All TP-Link devices seem to have issues with the new Bell 4000 router. I too see in the logs the devices connecting then disconnecting and the Wi-Fi icon flashes on and off on the switches. When I run the app, it takes several minutes to establish a connection to all devices but GOOGLE Home cannot connect to all of them. Other IOT manf have no issues - in fact they run way better (GEENI, GLOBE, generic stuff) so I know the 2.4GHz channels are operating and there is sufficient coverage (I have been able to get rid of all my network extenders). Here is the list f things I have tried to date. -> changed my DNS servers from Bell DNS to GOOGLE DNS - same result -> reauthorised GOOGLE Home to TPLink KASA - same result -> Confirmed that there are no firmware updates needed As I try more stuff, I will reply with updates.
Options
2022-03-24 18:14:12

Thanks, do you find that your issues are linked to running the guest network as well?

I aslo found this thread by someone else who seems to have issues.  Not sure if a resolution has been posted for it.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/272428?replyId=623240

@FrancoisL 

Options
2022-03-29 16:26:49

The options to change Wi-Fi in the 4000 are very limited.

Plus, I did not want to turn off band steering and other features as they are working great for Globe, GEENI/Merkury, DLink, GOOGLE, Meross, etc. The products from these IOT vendors never worked better.

So just for TP-Link KASA, I had to put back the TP-Link Mesh M9Plus Wi-Fi extender and create a separate, 2.4 GHz only Wi-Fi network just for them.  

Now they have no issues, are fast and only occasionally show up as disconnected in GOOGLE Home.

A pain to be sure but I have quite a few plugs, switches and lights and cannot pay to replace them all at once.

Yes, I said replace because if TP-Link cannot get them to handle modern Wi-Fi like everyone else, I will slowly start replacing them and sell them on eBay.

Options
2022-07-13 07:27:21

@TheRealDPP Ok so I am not crazy. I have the exact same problem with HS220 plugs. Had Google Wifi before. No issues. Then moved to HH 4000 and atarted having stability issues with only those switches. The rest of my devices all work great.

Will TP-Link do something about it? It seems pretty clear the issue is unique to their devices.

Options
2022-07-13 09:23:07

Hello  @Mayoo 

Thank you for the feedback, this seems to relate to with certain router and could relate to how the Bell home hub handle the request from Kasa devices. I'd recommend to reach router support and see if they could help check router in logs and help with some further troubleshooting. 

Or you could consider the workaround of using the old router as the Access Point and create a Wi-Fi network dedicated for the Kasa devices. 

Thank you for your understanding. 

Options
2022-09-01 00:35:08

@FrancoisL  i have the same issues 😔

I dont want buy a second router to connect my switch. I'm going to change my switch (2)

Options