Firmware update problem with 63 KP125 smartplugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-19 23:45:18 - last edited 2022-04-21 01:01:13
Model: KP125  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I have 63 TP-Link KP125 smartplugs at my home, to do things like switch things off to conserve power, measure consumption for appliances, as well as for HomeAssistant to send me notifications when appliances are done (clothes, dishes, food, etc).

Yesterday, I opened the Kasa app on my Galaxy Note 20, and opened the Settings / Firmware update screen.

It notified me that there was a firmware upgrade available, version 1.0.8 . All my smartplugs were previously on firmware 1.0.6 .

There was only one upgrade button in the app, to upgrade all 63 smartplugs at once.

So, I clicked the upgrade button. Most of them were upgraded, but there were errors for others. The error message was about the firmware upgrade process being interrupted.

8 smartplugs remained on the old version.

I clicked the update button again, to try to upgrade the remaining 8 smartplugs. The error persisted, however. These 8 smartplugs were all online and controllable from Kasa during the time this happened, as well as measuring energy, with data successfully recorded in HomeAssistant. I have smokeping data that shows me they were all pingable from a wired host, too.

I repeated the process. None would upgrade, still. Finally, I unplugged these 8 from their respective outlets. One was for the dishwasher, one for the toaster oven, another for my upstairs ceiling audio system, another for my MIDI organ, another for my office audio system, another one for the freezer in the garage. I didn't write down the name for each one, but I recall these. In any case, after I plugged all these smartplugs back into their outlets, the Kasa app was upgraded to upgrade them too. They are now all on 1.0.8 .

BTW, "KP125" does not show up as a valid model on this web site, so, I chose KP115, which is the closest. But mine are definitely KP125, bought from Best Buy and Target.

This support site should be fixed to include this model.

FYI, I'm not using HomeKit. I have no Apple hardware in the house. HomeAssistant offered me the choice of two integrations, one using HomeKit, one not using it. I use the non-HomeKit integration.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Firmware update problem with 63 KP125 smartplugs
2022-04-21 00:59:19 - last edited 2022-04-21 03:40:16

@madbrain 

Thank you for sharing the experience with us about the kasa plug firmware update.  Good to know plug gets an firmware update after you unplug them and plug them back. 

We'd also leave some tips if smart device failed the firmware update or stuck at the firmware update in case other user has the same concern. 

1. Unplug plug and plug it back and try firmware update again on kasa  APP

2. Connect your phone to Home WiFi network and try update

3. Try to connect phone to a different network like LTE mobile data or a non-local network like office wifi etc.

Options
2022-04-21 02:07:22

@Solla-topee 

1. Does the Tapo app support Kasa smartplugs ?

2. I was already on my home Wifi network when I did this. I have almost no cell signal inside my home, so that is the only way to connect to the network

3. I have no other network to connect to. I don't think I should have to leave my house to update the firmware, though.

I am considering adding some hardwired Kasa devices (namely, one HS200 switch). If there is ever a problem with the firmware upgrade on it, I would not be able to unplug it. The only way to cut power to the switch would be to turn off electricity to the house.

Perhaps doing a factory reset would allow the firmware upgrade to the device to proceed, but I didn't try that with the KP125 when I saw the issue. It would have meant having to reconfigure the device in my applications (HomeAssistant) and lose previously recorded power consumption over time for these devices.

Options
2022-04-21 05:40:47 - last edited 2022-04-21 05:52:23

Hello @madbrain sorry for the typo, that is Kasa APP.  

Most time device could get an update, if device does not receive update, from previous feedback, a refresh on the smart device like cut power off and back  would help.

If you have tried reboot and have connected home network to update the firmware, next step I recommend would be try a factory reset .

Factory reset usually helps as at the end of the setup process the device will have a firmware update.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 704

Replies: 3