Tapo C100 + Archer AX50 - RTSP/ONVIF camera cannot be found

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-13 12:04:32 - last edited 2022-07-01 06:49:37

Hi,

I have Archer AX50 and recently bought IP camera Tapo C100. Camera works fine in the mobile app, but I cannot get it to work using RSTP or ONVIF. I tried both VLC as well as iSpy, but the camera cannot be found.

I have set a static IP address for the camera in the TP-Link router setup. I am no networking expert but I suspect that when I browse the camera's IP address something should be displayed, shouldn't it? Well it doesn't, which might be the problem.

I tried this URL - rtsp://username:password@IP Address:554/stream1, however I don't know how to open ports, so I figured that is why it doesn't work. Hence I tried iSpy which claims to take care of everything on it's own - you just plug in username, pass, ip and it should work.

One more thing which might or might not be relevant. I have two modems/routers at home. My ISP is vodafone which runs internet on coax here, so they provide me with a modem which, unfortunatelly, doesn't support bridge mode. Anyways, coax goes to the Vodafone station from which the UTP goes into my TP-Link Archer AX50. Shouldn't be a problem IMO, but mentioning it just in care.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C100 + Archer AX50 - RTSP/ONVIF camera cannot be found-Solution
2022-05-16 08:34:13 - last edited 2022-07-01 06:49:37

Hello  @Mortificator 

So far it looks like the router does not get a real public IP from ISP, you will need to contact ISP side and see if they could assign a real public IP for the router.

Feel free to let us know how it goes~

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo C100 + Archer AX50 - RTSP/ONVIF camera cannot be found
2022-05-16 01:13:24 - last edited 2022-05-16 01:13:39

Hello @Mortificator 

It is recommended to test rtsp streaming in the local network using VLC Player first, make sure PC and camera are connected to the same wifi network and see if camera is accessible ? 
How can I play an RTSP live stream of my Tapo camera

To stream remotely, try to open ports on AX50 router for the camera's IP address, and use the public IP or WAN IP on status page to access camera

• ONVIF Service Port: 2020
  • RTSP Service Port: 554

Port forwarding: how to set up virtual server on TP-Link wireless router?

• Test if ports 2020 & 554 are opened through port scan website like ' canyouseeme'

Besides, it will show WAN IP/ Public IP and should be the same as the WAN IP address on router web page.

Options
2022-05-16 06:14:35 - last edited 2022-05-16 06:15:31

@Solla-topee I've gone through these with no luck.

I've tried https://www.tp-link.com/cz/support/faq/1379/ - Case 2.

I have set up a static IP for the camera:

I have also set up forwarding as per the example.

However, this doesn't work:

"Step 5 Go to Advanced->Status page and check the WAN IP Address of the router. Now you can try to use the http:// WAN IP: port number (in this example: http:// 218.18.232.154:90) to visit your personal website."

I've tried browsing the IP in chrome with and without the port. None of the IPs is openable.

It is also mentioned that:

"If the WAN IP Address of the router is not a public IP Address, but a Private IP Address, that means there is another NAT device connected to the WAN port of the TP-Link router, you need to open the service ports on that device as well."

I wonder if that is related to the information I posted in the first post:
"One more thing which might or might not be relevant. I have two modems/routers at home. My ISP is vodafone which runs internet on coax here, so they provide me with a modem which, unfortunately, doesn't support bridge mode. Anyways, coax goes to the Vodafone station from which the UTP goes into my TP-Link Archer AX50. Shouldn't be a problem IMO, but mentioning it just in care."

So my question is, if I browse the WAN IP address (without any ports) in chrome should something show up? If so, that might be the problem...

Options
2022-05-16 06:52:31

Hello @Mortificator 

Thank you for more case details

• i'd recommend confirming RTSP streaming work in the local network first. If locally this works fine, next step is to check  Port Forwarding. 
  • In step5 of Case2 ,  check the WAN IP on Status page and compare the IP with Public IP (given by internet service provider) .  You could go to <canyouseeme >website,which will show the Public IP address and also check if ports 554&2020 are opened. Please check my private message for full url

In ISP Coax cable--Vodaphone modem-- AX50 router , if you have two routers, you will need to open the same ports 554&2020 for router using router's WAN IP

First router: open router for second router's WAN IP

Second Router: open port for camera's IP

If you only have one router in the network, try to reach ISP to get a real public IP address so you could access the local device after doing port forwarding. 

Options
2022-05-16 07:03:35 - last edited 2022-05-16 07:17:01

"In step5 of Case2 , check the WAN IP on Status page and compare the IP with Public IP (given by internet service provider) . You could go to website,which will show the Public IP address and also check if ports 554&2020 are opened. Please check my private message for full url."

They do not match.

Options
Re:Tapo C100 + Archer AX50 - RTSP/ONVIF camera cannot be found-Solution
2022-05-16 08:34:13 - last edited 2022-07-01 06:49:37

Hello  @Mortificator 

So far it looks like the router does not get a real public IP from ISP, you will need to contact ISP side and see if they could assign a real public IP for the router.

Feel free to let us know how it goes~

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 659

Replies: 5