Kasa devices offline in Google Home - Password Changed - Cannot relink

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-14 01:04:04 - last edited 2022-05-16 09:24:08
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Today my Google Hub said it was unable to connect to my Kasa smart plug despite the Turn On command working.

It then occurred to me that I had changed the Kasa password last week when I gave Alexa access to my Kasa gear.

I looked in the Google Home app and saw that my three kasa devices were all shown as offline.

I checked in the Kasa app. All is working fine.

I then had a look in the Works With Google linked services list in Google Home. TP-Link Kasa was not there.

I tried adding TP-Link Kasa service. I gave Google Home the new password. The authorisation says it is linking but then drops back to the Add new service screen.

I have checked I have the correct password.

Any ideas of anything else I can try?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kasa devices offline in Google Home - Password Changed - Cannot relink-Solution
2022-05-16 08:23:01 - last edited 2022-05-16 09:24:08

The kasa devices were shared in Google Home with other members of my household. My wife's Google account allowed me to unlink kasa. From there I could re-add with the new password and all appears to be working ok now. It's a Google issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Kasa devices offline in Google Home - Password Changed - Cannot relink
2022-05-16 02:11:16 - last edited 2022-05-16 02:13:31

Hello @PaulRandom 

Thank you for the feedback.

• Make sure KASA device can be remotely controlled at first: Please turn off Wi-Fi on your cell phone and use mobile data only, can you turn On/ Off KASA devices on KASA app?
  • If yes, confirm internet is working on the phone.  Then try relinking kasa account in Google home APP.

How to connect your TP-Link Kasa devices to Google Home

If something went wrong,when you try to relink kasa account in Google app, please share some information below to look into it further

• a photo of error  or a video shared link showing the issue
  • Google home APP version
  • Model of phone and its Andriod or IOS version
  • MAC address of kasa device, please share via private message
  • btw, did you log out Tplink account and log back in to verify the password of tplink account is correct ? 
Options
2022-05-16 02:26:36

@Solla-topee 

Hi. I'm not sure that you have read my post fully. 

The kasa end is working fine. All devices work fine in the kasa app.  I think the problem is with Google. The kasa service is no longer shown in the list of services, so I cannot remove it. The kasa devices appear in Google Home but as offline. Commands from Google home to kasa devices do not work. Google assistant Voice commands to kasa devices do work. If I rename a device in Kasa, its name changes in Google Home. So the link is still there but corrupt or broken in some way. 

I have tried resetting the Google home app but this does not help as it just pulls all the setup back down from Google's cloud when I login with my google Id. 

Unfortunately there is no way to contact Google and no way to reset the Google home data held by Google. 

Options
2022-05-16 03:52:18

Hello  @PaulRandom 

As the Tp-Link ID password has changed, it is recommended to relink kasa device in the Google home APP, as your original post, the relink process failed, can you share a photo or video of the issue, and help provide some information requested above, that would help us to locate the issue, thank you. 

Options
2022-05-16 04:01:35
Hi. I've taken a series of screenshots and shared in the link below. They show the device offline and that the device is linked to kasa. I then chose unlink. This takes me to the list of linked services. Kasa is not in the list. I can try adding kasa but stepping through the authorisation does nothing. Probably because kasa is linked but the link is corrupt. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dnqJjuSzFugmr6mq6 I can turn on the switch by Google assistant voice control. If I rename the device in Kasa, its name changes in Google Home. So there is a link of some kind. Thanks
Options
Re:Kasa devices offline in Google Home - Password Changed - Cannot relink-Solution
2022-05-16 08:23:01 - last edited 2022-05-16 09:24:08

The kasa devices were shared in Google Home with other members of my household. My wife's Google account allowed me to unlink kasa. From there I could re-add with the new password and all appears to be working ok now. It's a Google issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-18 02:06:04

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I'm having the same problem.  I've even tried un-linking and re-linking the application. 

The problem seems to be with devices that share a name with Google rooms.  That is, I have a TP switch named "Bedroom" which is for the lights in the bedroom.  Sometime over the past week I can no longer use Google voice/Google home to control the bedroom lights or the living room lights.  Kasa smart home app is working fine, but in google home the little icons say "Offline" for the switches that won't work.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2684

Replies: 6