Recent update to Android and iOS app broke my usage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-07 22:41:13
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.16

The most recent updates to the Android and iOS versions of the app have broken my usage.

I have a few tablets around my house permanently displaying specific cameras; for example, the tablet in my living room shows the front door camera. This is always on, well, until the recent update. 

Now, the Tapo app requires me to press a button every 5 (ish) minutes in order to keep showing the camera on screen. Essentially, this has made my Tapo cameras useless as I no longer have continuous live view. 

If this is not resolved in a future update, or God forbid this is by design, I will replace all 10 of my Tapo cameras with products from another vendor.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Recent update to Android and iOS app broke my usage
2022-07-08 00:52:51

Hello   @Torrsy 

Thank you for the feedback. To stream Tapo camera in Tapo APP continuously,  make sure your mobile devices are connected to home Wi-Fi /under local network. 

Please refer to this FAQ for the more details if you can not live stream continuously when device is on a remote network

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

• Please try to leave only one phone to stream Camera and see if the ' Continue live stream' message pops up?
  • Turn off VPN on the mobile device
  • Turn off mobile data on the mobile device
  • When 'Continue' message occurs, try to ping camera's IP address on the phone and see if the ping failed or not, refer to Step2 in guide here to ping camera: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3261/

• For IOS 14 devices, allow 'Local Network' permission for Tapo app on IOS devices. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/293

If still the same, may I know the model of router, and network topology: e.g. ISP  - router model x <wireless>camera;  router <wireless> mobile device, thank you~

Options
2022-07-08 01:39:48 - last edited 2022-07-08 02:15:59

@Solla-topee thank you for your reply. 

But I feel this is a generic copy 'n' paste answer that does not fully apply to my issue.

As I mentioned in my original post everything was working fine until the most recent updates to the Android and iOS applications. I have not changed anything on my tablets, the only change is the updated Tapo application. 

All of my tablets are connected to my local Wi-Fi network, none are connecting over a VPN. None are using mobile data. 

When the “continue” message appears on each tablet, I can successfully ping their respective IP camera. 

I do not think this has anything to do with my router and my network topology but I will share that information regardless. My router is pfSense (this is an enterprise solution if you are unfamiliar), I am using 3x Ubiquiti UniFi (MPN: UAP-NANOHD) APs across my site. 

EDIT: For clarification, this is the message that appears every 5 minutes since the recent update. 

Before the recent updates (both on Android and iOS), I was only presented this message once, after selecting YES, the message disappeared and wouldn't be presented again, the live view would then continue without interruption. 

Options
2022-07-08 03:11:02 - last edited 2022-07-08 03:14:48

Hello  @Torrsy 

When test continuously streaming, only leave one mobile device stream the camera, not multiple devices. 

For a test, adjust the video quality to lower quality, like 720P and see if that makes any difference.

Please also enable Diagnose Mode for the camera, try to reproduce the problem and help collect the log. 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera

To look into it further, I will create a support email to follow up further, please check your email inbox later

Options
2022-07-08 03:23:49

@Solla-topee 

Once again thank you for your reply. 

In answer to your suggestions; each tablet is streaming content from a different camera. As you can see in the above photo it is using a lower quality 720P  (as noted by the 'LQ') stream. 

The message appearing on stream is an app-related dialogue. It has nothing to do with my infrastructure.

While I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my issue, I feel like this is a waste of time and you are failing to acknowledge the information I have previously provided. This is an app-related issue.

The level of after-sales support behind a product has a considerably heavy bearing on my perceived value of said product. With that, I feel the TAPO brand products I have installed do not meet my level of reliability and I will be replacing all 10 of my cameras with that of another vendor, likely to be Ubiquity/Unify. 

Thanks, and have a good day. 

Options
2022-07-11 02:09:16

Hello  @Torrsy 

Regret that we failed to help solve the issue for you, and really appreciated for your feedback.

I checked some other cameras like Tapo C220 in the latest IOS app 2.8.21 and did not notice similar problem, I will also see if I can grab a Tapo C200 and test that later. 

If you'd like to do some further troubleshooting with the camera, considering this problem occurs since app update,  I'd like to escalate your case to our senior engineers so could take a close look at it, feel free to reply support email on TKID220707896, and  we will try our best to help. 

If possible can you help to collect the log of camera at the same time, that would be of great help to pinpoint the causes of the problem.

As a temporary fix or  you could try to downgrade the Android Tapo , I'd share the APK with you by private message. 

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 470

Replies: 5