Are there any plans to bring Matter support to existing models?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Are there any plans to bring Matter support to existing models?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Are there any plans to bring Matter support to existing models?
2023-08-24 08:18:25

@RobD84  If you don't need the Matter feature, continuing to use the KP200 is no problem. However, if you need the matter feature, I think you need to buy the new product that supports this feature.

Options
2023-11-01 17:44:59

@Solla-topee

Ive had it with tp-link then, if I have to buy 20+ replacement matter devices because no OTA updates for my kasa then you're not getting my money in future.

Obviously tp-link management will have thought of this and are ok to dissapoint currrent customers but this is bad customer service and they have lost a life long customer.

Goodbye tp-link

Options
2023-11-08 17:59:30

@Solla-topee Hi everyone!

I'm so dissapointed, I've just bought a pack with 2 P100 2 days ago and now I'm seeing that there will an updated version P100M where the only difference will be to support Matter...
I think I'll send them back to Amazon.

Options
2023-11-09 07:23:18

@PolYGame If you need the Matter feature on the smart plug, it's a good choice to return your Tapo P100 and select the Tapo P100M...

Options
2023-11-09 11:24:48

@PolYGame I didnt bother with tp-link, they are not getting any more of my money. Its awful that they wont update there current produxts when they can do it with a OTA update.

I decised to go with meross, I bought 10 of these and they are superb, Matter is everything its made out to be, easy! https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CCXSQZKS 

Options
2024-03-14 12:49:16 - last edited 2024-03-14 12:51:52

Hi @kocz et al.

For anyone who hasn't found out already, despite the thread above and the 'hub in development' footnote on the TP-Link Matter web page, my H100 hub (hardware revision 1.0) has upgraded itself to be Matter aware. I'm not sure at which release but it's now running 1.5.6 build 240202 rel 164142.

The Tapo app now offers a 'Bind to Matter (Beta) option which provides the binding code in QR and numeric copy to clipboard form.

I've successfully used this to bind the H100 to Home Assistant's Matter integration and all the T310, S220 & S210 devices connected to the H100 are now visible via the H100 Matter bridge. Support is a bit basic - only switch on/off is exposed for the switches (as HA lights) and the temperature & humidity values for the sensors and none of the energy monitor or battery status stuff. (I'm still having to use the HACS-installable Tapo integration to fill in these - the native HA TP-Link Smart Home integration doesn't yet support the H100 devices.)

Neither of my S200B rotary/click buttons is exposed though, which is annoying because they're not exposed by the HACS or official HA integrations either which means I can only use them to control other TP-Link devices via the Tapo app and not the other stuff I'm running via HA. Hey ho. Live & learn.

NB The HACS Tapo integration sees the S200Bs and exposes their battery status but not the events they generate.

Options
2024-03-26 17:03:33

@Gallowglass 

Which routers do you use???

Options
2024-03-26 17:26:21

Hi  @Vladka .

I'm not sure what you mean by 'which routers'. My network setup is pretty standard - off-the-shelf Ethernet switches, etc.

If all your devices are on the same subnet with only layer 2 switches between them, Matter should work using IPv6 link-local (fe80:) self-assigned addresses without routers being involved.

However, if you do have an IPv6-capable router (I use an OpenWrt one to firewall off my ISP's FRITZ!Box VDSL router, both of which fully support IPv6) then some Matter devices will get private (FD00:) and even public delegated addresses via router announcement and some even support being DHCPv6 clients.

To the credit of TP-Link's engineers, the H100 does this as do the P110M smart plugs I've recently purchased. Whether I can talk to them using routed IPv6 Matter protocol I don't know - I've not tried yet!

I'm using the latest Home Assistant HAOS running natively on a small, dedicated PC which connects to the same subnet as the WiFi access point to which the Tapo devices connect. You can also install an ARM HAOS/HA image onto a Raspberry Pi if you prefer. There are other options as well.

Home Assistant has a built-in Matter integration and an accompanying Matter Server add-on container. You use the Home Assistant app on your phone to pair new Matter devices.

FYI My Tapo H200 camera hub has also become Matter aware but it doesn't achieve much - it pairs but exposes no readable or controllable entities for itself or the attached doorbell.

Options

Tags

matter
Related Articles