Tapo P110 can't be controlled with Tapo app over VPN (when I am away)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-24 18:52:10
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 build 221114 rel 203339

I use 5 tapo P110 plugs. They work fine on my local network, I control them with the iPhone app over local Wifi. I have one Wifi network.

When I am out of the home I use VPN to my router to be able to control all my home devices safely. However Tapo p110 shows "network unstable" and does not show any plugs.

I can easily control all my other home devices including vacuum, ring, sonos, NAS, hue lamps, tradfri lamps, lidl lamps, ampifier, printer, and I can continue. Why does TAPO not allow me to control devices via VPN when I am away?

Is additional configuration needed?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo P110 can't be controlled with Tapo app over VPN (when I am away)
2023-02-02 06:34:03

@Jaspov 

I've heard that the VPN might affect some APPs connection. Can you control the plugs normally without using the VPN?

Options
2023-02-02 08:44:57

@Jaspov Yes they work fine when I am actually at home

I do notice my firewall blocks some of the traffic to internet these devices generate to tplinkcloud.com and to tplinknbu.com as they generate lots of traffic.

However that still does not explain that it works 100% when I am physically at home and 0% when I am away and using VPN to appear to be at home.

Options
2023-02-07 11:07:19

@Jaspov 

What kind of VPN do you use? I can control my devices when i'm away without doing anything, i believe tplink supports remote control by default. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 532

Replies: 3

Related Articles