Managing the main central heating thermostat

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-01 17:22:51
Model: KE100 KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.1

I have some of the Smart Thermostats (ST) and all seems to be working well.

Is there a way to manage the main central heating (CH) thermostat which just turns the system on/aff according to its own unrelated time/temparature schedule.

It would be good to be able to (optionally) turn on the CH when one of the ST's opens to allow that radiator to achieve the required temperature.

As a feature request can there be a colour indication on the App to show if the KE100 is open or closed. At the moment if they are actively in a schedule the On/Off putton in the App is green. Can this be a different colour to off/on e.g. blue for off (cooling - valve shut)  red for on (heating - valve open) 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Managing the main central heating thermostat
2023-02-02 06:11:17 - last edited 2023-02-02 06:13:12

Hello   @RayGr 

Thank you very much for sharing the feedback. 

To verify if I understand your request correctly, do you wish to use one valve to turn on/off other valves to control the temperature in the whose house, much appreciated if you can give an example on a different product. 

For 2nd request, the KE100 Valve power button is Green when it is ON, the power button grayed out when it is OFF, this is suit your need

Options
2023-02-02 15:35:32

@Solla-topee 

Hi, To cover the second item:

Solla-topee wrote

Hello   @RayGr 

Thank you very much for sharing the feedback. 

To verify if I understand your request correctly, do you wish to use one valve to turn on/off other valves to control the temperature in the whose house, much appreciated if you can give an example on a different product. 

For 2nd request, the KE100 Valve power button is Green when it is ON, the power button grayed out when it is OFF, this is suit your need

If the KE100 has a schedule, then, when the schedule is active I agree the icon is green. That indicates a schedule is active. It does not indicate the state of the actual valve. If the valve is open then the radiator will be hot if the boiler is running. If the valve is closed because it has reached temperature then the radiator will potentially be cold.

Both of those states are viable when a schedule is active.  See Screenshot_20230202_150837_Kasa.jpg In the case of L1 and L2 both radiators are cold and the valve is shut but the icon is green. There is no indiaction that the valve is shut. When the temperatire in the room drops at some point, the valve will open and the radiator will get hot. The image does not indicate the state (open/shut) of the valve. I was suggesting that it would be nice to have a visual (colour) indication of the state.

In the case od DR1 there is no set schedule at the time of the screenshot so it reverts to grey and relies on the frost setting to decide when to open and let the radiator get hot. Again it would be good to know the state of the valve. So grey would be fine here for when it is shut but if it opens then again a visual indication would be good.

As for the first question.

The boiler is controlled by a single not networked wall thermostat which has no idea of the temperature of the rooms because it is not in them. It also has no idea of the state of any Smart thermostat.

So in the case of a bedroom, the Smart thermostat (ST) would have no schedule during the day and would be using frost mode. When it came to the time of day to retire for the night, the ST would have a schedule and would open and try to reach the required temperature. However the room that the main wall thermostat is not cold enough for it to fire up the boiler, thefore the bedroom remains cold. 

I was looking for some method (perhaps changing out the main wall thermostat) whereby if one of the ST's was calling for heat i.e. the schedule was active and the temperature was low, it would activate the main thermostat to fire up the boiler. All the rooms that were at or above thier temperature, would have the ST valve shut and on the one radiator that required to heat up (the bedroom) would have the ST valve open.

I hope all that makes sense.

One further question are the Tapo and Kase products interchangable?

File:
Screenshot_20230202_150837_Kasa.jpgDownload
Options
2023-02-15 12:36:59

I have the same problem there doesn't appear to be any Smart Room Thermostats that integrate with the Kasa ones.

The Tado, Draton & Hive all integrate with their Smart TRV's so that if a TVR calls for heat and the room stat is off it will turn on for an hour or a preset time.

When are TP Link going to adress the problem?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 625

Replies: 3