Tapo Smart Camera was removed from the app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-24 08:31:03
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Tapo C210 was behaving strangely.

#1.  Twice it detected human presence but nobody was in the video

#2.  Today, the camera setup was completely removed from the App by itself - See "Device already removed"

For #2, Is this even possible ? I did not remove the cctv camera setup

Could my Tapo 210 has been hacked ?

Is there a way to check from the Tapo server side to understand the issue ? 

Options
15 Reply
Re:Tapo Smart Camera was removed from the app
2023-05-25 07:40:53

@TP-user123 

Hi, 

1. For the first question, it seems that every motion detection will trigger a duplicate AI (person) detection while there is no actual person detection event. To solve the problem, please refer to the solution in this thread to contact support.forum@tp-link.com.

2. For the second question, it's hard to say why the message appears, for example, it appears may be because the camera is offline and the Tapo app fails to find the camera in the remote network. To further analyze the issue, please help confirm:
1) Please let me know the time, date, and time zone when seeing the message on the Tapo app.
2) Have you reset and reconfigured the camera after the message appears? If so, when did you do that?
3) Send me the MAC address of the C210 via private message.

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-06 17:15:00 - last edited 2023-06-06 17:16:18

I am using the C100 and I have had this same thing happen to me twice in two days this week - the camera is removed from the app, yet I am still receiving notifications for motion detection!?!  And when I click on those notifications, I too receive 'device already removed"?

please advise.  This camera will be useless if I have to factory reset and re-add it every day.  I know the camera is still present and operational as I can still see the video feed via RTSP in a different app.  

BTW, this is while using the android Tapo app.

Options
2023-06-07 00:30:31

@Solla-topee Due to security reasons, I have stopped using the product but I have glad that someone else has reported the same issue as me.

Just a note : I did call up to the support hotline { the support engineer was based in Philippine } and I was told that if TP does a configuration change at the server 's end, the camera may be removed from the app but he does not sound very convincing.

Even other brands have reported similar issue for #1, issue #2 is not acceptable if this is a product issue.

TP-link should look into it when more users have reported the issue.

Options
2023-06-07 06:34:18

@dolhop   @TP-user123 

Hi,
If you have the 'camera is removed from the app' error after clicking on the received notification, please force close the Tapo app and then reopen it, then check if you can see the camera listed on the Tapo app again.

If yes, this problem will be solved with the latest Tapo app ver 2.16.x. Since this Tapo app is being released gradually, if you can't download it from Google Play or App Store, please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the title " [Forum ID 610022] Tapo Smart Camera was removed from the app + Device Model +Hardware Version" to obtain the latest Tapo app. 

If not, I'll escalate this case to the tech team for further analysis.

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-07 08:36:42

Hello @Solla-topee ,

Really appreciate your prompt reply in this.

To be completely honest, I have lost confidence in the product and I have stopped using it.

But your prompt response has help to raise my confidence a bit.

Likewise, I am using android Tapo app. 

1) Please let me know the time, date, and time zone when seeing the message on the Tapo app.

I have pm you

2) Have you reset and reconfigured the camera after the message appears? If so, when did you do that?

No

3) Send me the MAC address of the C210 via private message.

I have pm you

Really appreciate of your prompt reply ! Thumb up !

Have a good day !

Options
2023-06-07 09:37:24

@TP-user123 

Hi,
Thank you for the update. I double-confirmed that your camera is not unbound to the TP-Link ID when you see the error message, which means it's not removed from the app.
I guess you see the error message when clicking on a motion/person detected notification, and if yes, you can try to download the V2.16.x Tapo app or email support.forum@tp-link.com to obtain the latest Tapo app to solve the problem.

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-07 12:39:35

I was able to confirm that force stop/restart of the app will have the device appear again.  I will wait for the new version from the google play store, thanks.

Options
2023-06-07 19:09:09
@Solla-topee If you're giving feedback to the app developers, and nice improvement would be to have notifications in the android app to be grouped. I don't want one notification for each trigger of a camera. They should be grouped together, per camera at least.
Options
2023-06-07 23:16:11

@Solla-topee 

Thank you so much for your investigation !

Options
2023-06-07 23:31:08

@dolhop , thank you for your sharing of information and experiences as well ! I guess it will help a lot of users here too.

@Solla-topee , if you don mind, I have one last question which is issue #1.

In one of the odd events which i observed in in issue #1, my C210 was actually following an "invisible" human ( as reported in the app ) , tracking "it" from left to right and then the camera movement move from right to left again ! There is no external movement as seen in the video ( such as tiny insect flying ) !

I have tried to follow the conversation in the threads that you have mentioned ( Forum ID 610022 ), but unforunately I am not able to get any information that is regarded to my observation. Those people who has reported the issues, mentioned that a car/cat movement has tiggered the duplicate events which is not similar to mine ( unfortunately ).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1199

Replies: 15