Has ANYONE found a way to prevent or repair the incessent relay/switch failures of P100s and P110s?

Has ANYONE found a way to prevent or repair the incessent relay/switch failures of P100s and P110s?

2023-06-07 18:53:56
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I know that this must be a recurring theme but I've got about 10 P100/P110s controlling various things in my house and ONCE AGAIN one of them has stopped switching! The app thinks it is switching and the LED changes, but this time there isn't even a relay click. Previous, failed P100/P110s have still clicked but not actually switched.

Astonishingly this is the third time I have had a failure out of probably 9 operational sockets.....I've only been using them for a couple of years (and bought most of them this year), so I am seeing something pretty damn close to 30% failure rate per year. I worked in the electronics industry on safety critical products (like these are) for 30 years and that failure rate is frankly disgusting.

Has anyone tried opening these up and replacing the relays with something reliable? Or is the underlying problem with them not just the relays?

I have already been through hoops with customer support TWICE to replace the first 2 failures but I haven't kept track of the individual S/Ns that came with each purchase so I have no idea when, from whom, where and for what price I bought today's failure so I will just write off another £15 (or £10 nowadays if I was willing to replace it) and throw another TAPO socket in the bin....... unless someone knows a handy youtube repair video or something?

I can't find any discussions of repairs so I appreciate it's a long shot - but any suggestions will be gratefully received.

MBD

Options
11 Reply
Re:Has ANYONE found a way to prevent or repair the incessent relay/switch failures of P100s and P110s?
2023-06-13 10:40:28 - last edited 2023-06-13 10:50:32

@mbdmbd Same issue here - just had one beginning to stick. I think it's because the relatively light load (router, laptop, etc) has a high in-rush current when it's powered on (or quite inductive (unlikely) so causes a spark when it's turned off. Either way, the relay contacts eventually get partially welded together or at least stick together as a result. Tapping the plug hard will free it until the next time but it happens with increasing regularity once it starts.

I too have been looking for the/a part number to replace the relay (and/or a video) but to no end. Mind you the price of the relay erodes into the price of new plug anyway. Main problem is there's no indication unless you realise the load is still on! App thinks everything is fine :-(

However - I DID just find this https://youtu.be/P8cm8HFuG6s?t=11 So these MAY work https://tinyurl.com/259muo6a

Options
Re:Has ANYONE found a way to prevent or repair the incessent relay/switch failures of P100s and P110s?
2023-07-23 18:53:29

@Wibbly I think the difficulty is not in finding the part which is probably a generic relay, but in opening the plastic shell without damaging it. This is pretty annoying, as is the fact that they don't sell a module that wires can be connected to directly to control equipment that's permanently wired.

Options
2023-10-31 23:27:37
Came here to find info on this. Failure rate is disgusting, I'm done 4 out of 13 and that includes 3 replacement units. TPLink should be ashamed of this product.
Options
2023-10-31 23:32:59

@mbdmbd Actually, maybe I just found the way!!!!

In frustration after reading this post, I banged my P110 really really hard on the kitchen worktop once on every side except for the one with the pins.

IT ONLY BL00DY WORKS AGAIN,

Not an ideal solution ny any means, but tried and tested I guess and better than the bin.

Gonna find my other ones and bang them now.

Cheers all hope this helps!

Options
2023-11-01 10:23:05 - last edited 2023-11-01 10:23:48

@EdB79 Unfortunately I fear you will find this only a temporary solution as what causes this creates physical damage to the relay contacts. They are likely to skick again with increasing regularity :-(

Options
2023-11-10 14:05:45
Thank Wibbly. Absolutely sure you are correct, but at least it works now.
Options
2023-12-18 18:16:46

@mbdmbd 

Hello,

I have the same problem you report for a P105 socket and searching on the internet I found this video that might help you solve. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99iAK1JeAeo 

Options
2024-01-01 15:18:25

I see UK stock is low/unavailable at the moment...  I'm not sure if that's just Xmas and people using them for lights etc. or if it's connected to manufacturing/reliability? 
I'm just about to buy some P110s but have started to get put off by the failure posts :( 

Options
2024-01-01 15:20:10

@mbdmbd Or maybe getting ready to make only the Matter compatible one available moving forwards

Options
2024-01-11 09:08:45

@mbdmbd 
Same problem. Same solutions so far, I had seen the video that @HopeIT had posted a few weeks ago and opened mine up, Interestingly the relay(Black) in that video is different to the one I had opened (light blue), stoopidly i didn't photo it before cracking it open to see the state of the contacts, I haven't got around opening my other faulty one yet.
I did replace one with Tp link about a year ago as   @mbdmbd  did and what a complete pain in the ar53 that procedure was, probably by design, not only that but swapping out is a pain because you have to reprogram with Home Assistant or what every you use for home automation.
I will crack open the other one I have and find a replacement relay i think. They are a pain to open but if i buy a pack of relays i will only have to do it once per plug as they fail, I have about 20 of the buggers.
Great while they work - not worth what i paid when they fail.

Options