Load limit dependent on load device type?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-22 13:12:11
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Further to my recent post P110 no longer switching power on/off I have received trouble-shooting advice from the technical support team by email.  Part of that advice indicates that the maximum load of the P110 (2990W, 13A) is significantly reduced if the device you have connected to it is of a capacitive or inductive load type.  See below.

7. Check the type of load device. If the type of load device is capacitive or inductive, the maximum current of the load device cannot exceed 1/6 of the rated current value of the plug. For example: Current limitation of Tapo P100 (UK) is 2990W, 13A. The maximum current of the capacitive/inductive load can not exceed 500,2.2A.

I was not previously aware of this restriction, nor exactly what range of devices this would cover. indecision

Having looked through the product description, instruction and specification, I can find no reference to this. 

Presumably this would rule out using a kettle through the plug?  And quite possibly a whole host of other household devices/appliances.

Has anyone else come across this?  Thanks

Options
1 Reply
Re:Load limit dependent on load device type?
2023-06-29 07:39:00

@DeltaCharlie 

Found a discussion here, non-resistive devices are likely to have an instantaneous high voltage (or current?) causing damage to the relay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/rv547v/high_failure_rate_on_plugs_connected_to_loads/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 337

Replies: 1

Related Articles