TAPO C420S2 person detection not working

2023-08-05 12:23:58 - last edited 2023-08-05 12:57:16

Hello,

just installed C420 camera outside.

Wakeup setting is at the MAX (10) and movement sensivity at MAX (10).

No way, only cars are detected on the road, but not the person. Angle is very good.

How is the max distance in meter that the camera can detect a person? I buy this camera exactly to detect person, not cars LOL

Thanks

Options
13 Reply
Re:TAPO C420S2 person detection not working
2023-08-07 08:47:39

@UfoRiky 

Hi,
The distance that the camera can detect a person is related to the actual environment. About the issue you report, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.

1. On the Tapo app>Camera Settings page of the Tapo C420>Detection & Alerts>AI Detection>Person Detection page, have you enabled Person Detection, and what's the Sensitivity?

2. May I have a picture displays where you installed the camera?

3. Please help record a video manually on the camera's Live View page when a person moves in front of the camera but can't be detected.

Then send me a link to download the picture and the video via private message.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-07 12:43:35 - last edited 2023-08-07 13:09:49

@Solla-topee 
is related to the actual environment...what it means? Nothing is moving...if a person pass, he is the only things that are moving, se I suppose the camera must record it.

1. On the Tapo app>Camera Settings page of the Tapo C420>Detection & Alerts>AI Detection>Person Detection page, have you enabled Person Detection, and what's the Sensitivity? Person AI detection at max, 10. And also activation camera Wake-up Sensitivity is at max, 10.

In my opinion the problem is the distance and the infrared sensor don't "see them". How distance a person can be detected? What I can see, is that if the person ride a bike, so the movment is faster, the camera detect him.

If the person is walking normally, the camera don't activate and don't record.

The person are about 30 meters from the camera.

Cars are perfectly detected, also at 30 40 meters. Only the walking person are not detected.

How I can do to send you a link with the video?

And another thing: the selected area to record is not recognized. In my second camera I select only some RED zone to record, but the camera record everything...

Thanks

Options
2023-08-08 10:14:57

@UfoRiky 

Hi,
Generally, the camera's configuration parameters, the location&angle you installed the camera, the weather, light, etc., in the actual environment can affect the camera's detection range, so I want to know the configuration you set on the camera and the video that shows the problem for further analysis.

You can upload the video to your cloud server, such as Google Drive, and then send me the link to download the video.

Please note that the activity zone you set on the Motion Detection page works for motion detection only, and the zone for the Person Detection feature is the full screen of the camera.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-01 16:57:35 - last edited 2023-09-02 15:20:28

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I have set up also one C420 camera overlooking sideways our front yard and terrace. Small street is passing 7m right from camera, behind the bush, but partly seen in the camera view.

I have set up only motion detection (as AI uses all view, including small portion of street), sensitivity is max, detection range is max, small area on top right blankened due to view to neighbor. I have also set up a detection area to exclude the street.

Problems: 

1. Person detection works only 2-4 m close to the camera. Hopping and rain dancing 5m away causes nothing (rain still continues ...). Outside temp +15-20°C and no hot surfaces.

2. Cars driven sideways to yard - or garage at the end of terrace (7-8m) - are not detected

3. Cars passing by (outside the set area) will be detected (only tails are recorded...)

No other interference exist (electric apparatus, street lights, reflections etc) - and this happens also in cloudy daylights. Only I have terrace lights PIR sensor ~feet apart from camera. Tried also with PIR disconnected.

Questions: 

Is PIR behavior different in battery operated camera?

Why objects outside set area will trigger recording? Understood that it can not be very precise boundary.

How does privacy area affect to detection?

At the moment the camera does not work as planned and causes unwanted recordings which should have been excluded. Firmware is the latest.

Edit:

Just adding that the camera is installed upside down on to roof, by turning "invert" on.

(And plastic protective foils are removed).

More questions: 

What is the meaning of activity area when PIR detects the movement (AI is not used) ? PIR cannot distinguish the position of event - or can your system do that?

Options
2023-09-05 11:09:08

@Horch 

Hi,
Please refer to the below information for your questions.

1. You can refer to the link below to know how the battery cameras are woken up by the PIR sensor.
What is the Wake-up Sensitivity of my battery camera/doorbell?

2. Generally, the events in the privacy area won't be recorded. 
Can you share a picture of the Live View page of your camera and the video recorded triggered by objects outside the set area with us? And I also want the motion detection settings page and the wake-up sensitivity page for further analysis. 
You can send me a link to download the video and pictures via private message.

3. The event/motion in front of the camera may wake up the camera, however, the camera won't record the motion if it's out of the activity zone you set. 

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-08 09:31:30

@Horch 

Same as me: customized area not working well.

Also the movments outside the area that I trigger are recorder. Not good.

AI detection OFF because as you already told, it detect the complete area and not permit to trigger it.

Very bad

Options
2023-11-08 10:12:36

@UfoRiky 

It is just the PIR which is of bad design – or misaligned. Mine senses well out of visible area on right (when not inverted) but not from left side. If PIR would work ok, we could lower the sensitivity and get better recordings. While tried first upside down, if did not sense like that so PIR (or better, the lense) must be bad. Sorry.

Now I have to use all AI detection off, otherwise it senses all cars, persons, bikes etc from right side, but not persons or cars driving to front of the house. 

Options
2023-11-08 13:27:47

@Horch 

very bad...

Options
2023-12-21 20:36:54

@Solla-topee hi. I installed 2x c420 cameras. I wanted to know the sensing range of the PIR sensor? As anything above 3 metres is not detected 

Options
2023-12-22 08:58:14

@Mubz 

Hi,
It's abnormal that the Tapo C420 can't detect anything above three meters usually, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. How about the battery level of your cameras? Whether both two cameras have the same performance?
2. Can you share a picture of the Detection page? And what sensitivity value you have configured for the enabled detection types and wake-up sensitivity?
3. Is the motion across the camera's lens or moving towards the camera?
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1125

Replies: 13

Related Articles