Votes

Cameras with Spotlights need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise

Votes

Cameras with Spotlights need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise

2023-08-05 15:49:03 - last edited 2023-08-05 15:51:12
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I like to use my spotlight as a deterrent. I'd like it to go on when there is motion at night to let someone know "hey there is a camera here, move on". However with a lot of spotlight cameras the spotlight only activates when motion is detected in Night Mode or very low light (C325WB). 

For example in my situation I have decent ambient light. My C320WB never goes into Night Mode due to its starlight sensor. Without going into Night Mode the spotlights will never be triggered. I can set it to permanent night mode, that would put everything in black and white even during the day. What is necessary is a Spotlight setting that has a toggle switch to turn on spotlight during any motion from Sunset to Sunrise. Then no matter if the camera is in Night Mode or Day Mode when motion is detected it activates the lights. 

From a video I watched on the C325WB model, even though it doesn't have night mode, its a color only sensor. If the camera decides there is enough light, even with motion the spotlights won't turn on. 

The software of the camera are set up to use the Spotlight to assist image quality, they are not taking into account that the spotlight itself is a deterrent. It could help scare away someone in your yard or by your car. It needs it own setting where you can force it to go on during a specific time period if it detects motion. Sunset to sunrise would be great the best. Maybe even time windows can be set. I personally would like sunset to sunrise as setting a time could change throughout the year. 

Eufy cameras work perfectly, the spot light turns on with motion detected at night. And it doesn't matter if I'm in night mode or day mode. However Tapo has features that are better than Eufy. Tapo can detection motion quicker and further away. It has vehicle AI. It has better pricing. 

But until an update is made for these features I can't buy Tapo Cameras. 

Options
14 Reply
Re:Cameras with Spotlights need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise
2023-08-07 09:05:56

@Jasesun 

Hello, 
Thank you for your feedback here, we certainly appreciate your feedback and feature request.
While we don't have any specific details that I can share about if this feature can come to the product or when it might, I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.
If other users have the same request, please vote on this thread or leave your comments.
Best Regards

Options
Re:Cameras with Spotlights need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise
2023-08-07 14:29:54

@Solla-topee thanks for the reply. This is an issue with all tp link spotlight cameras. The Tapo C320WS, Tapo C325WS, and Kasa Cameras. I think a lot of people would like the spotlight to turn on as a deterrent not just to aid in video quality. 

LifeHackster a high subscriber youtuber talks about this problem with his C325WS.
https://youtu.be/7sjFpMoHWGw?t=615

Steve Does another high subscriber youtuber also has this problem with his C325WS

https://youtu.be/WOVzT4KMDJY?t=863

Both of thes are with the C325WS but the issue is the same with all spotlight cameras. The problem is the cameras deciding when to turn on the spotlight based on how much light there is. All that is necessary is a setting to turn the spotlight on no matter how much light there is from Sunset to Sunrise. So when it is night outside the spotlight goes on with motion, regardless of if the camera sensor has enough light for the image quality. 

Just a heads up Ring spotlight camera has this setting. To turn on the spotlight with any motion from Sunset to Sunrise, regardless of amount of light around you. 

Options
2023-08-08 11:10:55

@Jasesun 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your sharing, and I'll also forward them to the related team to evaluate.

Best Regards

Options
2023-12-23 11:23:53

@Jasesun +1 from me for having the spotlights react to Motion.

I just got my first C325WB and the night vision is amazing. I was surprised though to find that I can't have the spotlight turn with motion. It makes the spotlights largely redundant unless I can work out a way to script turning them on when there's an alert.

Options
RE:Cameras with Spotlights need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise
2023-12-31 03:50:27 - last edited 2023-12-31 03:53:28

I agree. Turning on the spotlight when motion is detected is a good deterrent. It needs to turn on even when it is set to Day Mode or when the background light is still not dark.

Options
2023-12-31 03:55:25 - last edited 2023-12-31 03:56:22

@Philosifer You have to set the video mode to night mode or auto to make the spotlight come on with movement detection. I hope they will fix it with a firmware update.

Options
RE:Cameras with <span class='search-highlight'>Spotlights</span> need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise
2024-03-07 21:28:34
I thought it had this feature when I purchased the C425, I was shocked when it did not have this.
Options
2024-04-13 09:11:45

@Jasesun 

Thanks for raising this issue.  I purchased my camera today thinking that the spotlights would behave as you have asked for.  Very disappointed that they don't.  

Options
RE:Cameras with Spotlights need feature to turn on light when motion is detected from Sunset to Sunrise
2024-04-26 18:11:01 - last edited 2024-04-26 18:12:03

Another vote. I made a separate request asking for this feature but it looks like more people have responded to this one so just adding my vote.

This should be added to every camera with lights including the C120.  

Options
2024-04-27 09:58:19

This should be there for every camera. I just setup c425 today and disappointed to find out this doesn't work. Will return and buy eufy

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 1926

Replies: 14

Voters 10

+ 6 Voters