Tapo c420 Motion Detection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-08 01:13:36
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

I have recently installed a C420 on either side of my house to cover entry points into the house (side windows).

As this is a narrow corridor (1 meter between house and fence) the camera is not detecting movement coming towards or away from the camera (no crossing motion).

Any ideas on how i can overcome this so i can record movement on either side of the house?

FYI - Sensitivity is set to 10.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Tapo c420 Motion Detection
2023-08-08 07:01:31

@FOR22A 

Hi,
Please help collect the following information for this issue.

1. Please send me a picture of the Live View page of the Tapo C420.

2. Please send me a video that shows there is no crossing motion in front of the camera but it does not detect this motion.
You can record this motion manually by pressing the Record icon on the Live View page.

3. Please send me a picture that shows where you install the Tapo Cam.

You can send me a link to download the pictures and videos via private message to protect your info.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-09 10:08:59

@Solla-topee thanks, Private Message sent

Options
2023-08-09 12:25:20

@FOR22A 

Hi, 
Thank you for the update, and can you share your motion detection and person detection settings with us? For example, have you enabled motion detection and person detection, and what sensitivity for each detection type?

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-09 21:13:56

See settings in screen shots attached.

Options
2023-08-10 09:42:01

@FOR22A 

Hi,
Thank you very much for the information provided. For the sake of power saving, the Camera(C420) is usually in a sleep state (low power consumption). The camera can be woken up when doing some operations on the APP like watching the camera’s live view. And it can also be woken up by the PIR sensor.

PIR sensor means passive infrared sensor. The term ‘passive’ refers to the fact that PIR devices do not radiate energy by themselves. They work by detecting infrared radiation emitted by or reflected from objects.

There exist twin sensors in the camera, when a person or animal moves through the camera’s detecting area, the twin sensors can detect the infrared radiation changes thus waking up the camera. And due to the mechanism of the sensors, they may not detect objects moving directly toward the camera to some extent.

Based on the pictures and video you provided, the camera is not detecting the movement coming towards or away from the camera may be because this movement can't wake up the camera. As per the below installation suggestion, it's recommended to adjust the direction of the camera lens to avoid the problem.

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-10 10:22:46

Thanks for trying to assist, i appreciate it.

Unfortunately it looks like I purchased the wrong cameras as they are not really fit for the purpose of home security (most houses are similar in configuration). I was hesitant to buy Arlo or Eufy cameras as I have an extensive range of TP Link smart home devices and have always been an advocate. I will slowly work through transitioning to another brand.

Options
2023-08-10 10:57:01

@FOR22A 

Hi,
We also have other outdoor security cameras which are not battery-powered, and they will be active all the time rather than in a sleep state when no event is detected, and you can check if any of them can meet your requirements.

You can click here to see these cameras on our official website.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 520

Replies: 7

Related Articles