Powering TAPO Outdoor cameras

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-05 14:15:19
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Having had a good experience with two other TAPO cameras I plan to purchase another but will need to mount it away from power.  I notice that the larger, moveable camera's still have a relativly short power cable and do not support POE.  It will not be possible to run an extension lead to the camera but I wondered if this TP-Link POE solution would be a suitable solution (I can fit a waterproof box close to the camera to house the splitter and run Cat5e / Cat6 cable to it).   

TL-POE150S -  https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/accessory/tl-poe150s/ (Injector)

TL-POE10R - https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/accessory/tl-poe10r/ (Receiver)

It seems to be specifically designed for this situation but I have not seen it recommended when others have asked for a solution to provide power to the camera over distance.  is there a reason for this?  Is it not compatible?

Regards, 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Powering TAPO Outdoor cameras
2023-09-06 07:50:23 - last edited 2023-09-19 12:44:29

@Gillas 

Update on Sep 19, 2023.

Hi,
After checking the detailed information about the TL-PoE10R, you can try to use the TL-PoE150R+TL-PoE10R to power the Tapo C510W in theory, however, the TL-PoE10R is an indoor product and it's not waterproof, thus it's not recommended to be used to power the outdoor camera.
Generally, we recommend finding a good position for your camera and using the original power adapter to power the Tapo Cam.

I'll log your feedback that the power cable of the outdoor camera needs to be longer and forward it to the related team to evaluate, and we will continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible. 

Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Best Regards

Options
Re:Powering TAPO Outdoor cameras
2023-09-18 10:01:30

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your response but unfortuantely I seem to be missing exactly what you are trying to explain to me... The images you show do not show the power connector specifically.  

What is the issue with the two power connectors please?  If it is the size of the barrel connectors that is something that I can easily overcome, even polarity.  Please help me to understand the exact incompatibility issue.  

A battery powered camera is not going to work unfortunately.  I cannot borrow and climb a ladder every couple of days or even weeks to change a battery on the cameras.  it just isn't going to be practical. 

Why do you have such a short power lead on your camera's if this is going to be a problem.  I can't believe that everyone who buys one has a power socket within 1.5m of the camera, especially on an outside wall.  Perhaps this is something for your R&D department to look into.  

Regards,   

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 988

Replies: 2

Related Articles