Tapo C200 is losing connection after a few hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-12 17:46:56
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.6

C200 is losing connection after a few hours and appears to be offline in the Tapo-App. Don’t want to reboot all the time. And actually I don’t want to change the providers DNS addresses – don’t understand why that should help anyway if it works for a few hours.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 is losing connection after a few hours
2023-09-13 08:08:43

@TP_user_4711 

Hi,
For the unstable issue, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. Please check the LED status on the Tapo C200 when it is offline: Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green, etc.

2. Please check the Wi-Fi Signal Strength of the camera on the Tapo app and send the info to us. You can find the instructions to see the signal strength on the link below.
What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

3. Please describe your network diagram, such as the Internet--wireless router)))Tapo C200.
What's the model number of your router? Do you have a stable connection when connecting to the router's Wi-Fi?

4. If you haven't reset the camera to factory default settings and reconfigured it, you can have a try. 
You can also reset the camera and connect it to your phone's hotspot Wi-Fi, then check if it will work fine.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-13 08:36:53

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for your hints - I just really changed the DNS server entries on the router which did the trick. Though I would still like to understand why it would work for a couple of hours with the original DNS addresses and then go offline. And why this isn't happening any longer with the Google DNS.

Thanks
_Marco

Options
2023-09-14 08:03:22

@TP_user_4711 

Hi Marco,
Whether you have rebooted your router after changing the DNS server, and then the camera works fine. If it's the case, maybe rebooting your router is the key point to solve the unstable issue. 

If you just changed the DNS server and the unstable issue disappears, the problem may be the original DNS can't resolve the TP-Link cloud domain name sometimes, and it's recommended to help confirm the following information for further analysis.

1. Please help confirm the information in my previous reply.

2. Whether the camera appear to be offline on the Tapo app only when you are in the remote network?

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-17 13:05:04

@Solla-topee 

Please find my observations inline below:

1. Please check the LED status on the Tapo C200 when it is offline: Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green, etc.

--> Solid Green

2. Please check the Wi-Fi Signal Strength of the camera on the Tapo app and send the info to us. You can find the instructions to see the signal strength on the link below.
What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

--> full signal strenght reported in the Tapo App.  [  -47(RSSI) ]

3. Please describe your network diagram, such as the Internet--wireless router)))Tapo C200.
What's the model number of your router? Do you have a stable connection when connecting to the router's Wi-Fi?

--> standard router from my provider Swisscom - WiFi enabled. The devices stand like 2m away from each other

4. If you haven't reset the camera to factory default settings and reconfigured it, you can have a try. 
You can also reset the camera and connect it to your phone's hotspot Wi-Fi, then check if it will work fine.

--> did not do that so far.

Also I'm going to insert an SD card and enable the log-files - maybe I can decipher something in there.

Options
2023-09-19 08:26:23

@TP_user_4711 

Hi,
It seems the camera's Wi-Fi signal strength and the Wi-Fi connection are no problem when you fail to control it with the Tapo app, so I think the problem may be caused by the original DNS can't resolve the TP-Link cloud domain name sometimes.
You can insert an SD card into the camera and refer to the link below to collect the camera log if the problem happens again for further analysis.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera?

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-20 02:57:35

trancamtu

Options
2023-09-22 09:27:06

@DailyNightly 

Interesting your information indeed. I give it a last try to enter a memory chip into the cam and start logging. Maybe there will be some hints in there. Quite frustrating. I usually never have problems with my access - also not for other cams (i.e. ABUS).

Options
2023-10-01 12:36:03

@TP_user_4711 

Meanwhile I produced log-information and it has a lot of error messages - although for some 2hrs I can see images and control the cam via the app. What should I do with the log-file now?

Options
2023-10-01 13:04:59

@TP_user_4711 send the log file privately to someone who can help you with that (specifically TP-Link customer support).

Options
2023-10-10 09:29:46

@TP_user_4711 

Hi,
Usually, if your camera is working fine, the error messages in the log may be irrelevant information. You can upload the log to your cloud server(such as Google Drive) and generate a link, then send me the link via private message to download it, and I'll check the log.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 591

Replies: 10

Related Articles