Tapo D230 battery

Tapo D230 battery

Tapo D230 battery
Tapo D230 battery
2023-10-28 20:40:48
Model: Tapo D230S1  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.12

I installed a brand new Tapo D230 at 14:47 yesterday with a 100% charged batter, only to find it drained fully in less than 24 hours.

I have only person detection enabled with sensitivity level of 2. Wake up is set to event, retrigger time is set to 30 secs, record buffer to 3 secs and clip length to 30 secs. Night mode is set to infrared and video quality is at 960P.

The doorbell does face a street and there is a street light casting a shadow with moving trees, but I've set the privacy zone to block that area from recording.

I charged the battery again today and installed approx 19:20 and it is already down to 88%.

I don't expect to get the 180 days TP-Link advertiser but don't expect to have to charge the battery everyday, kind of defeats the object of not getting a wired doorbell. 

Has anyone else experienced similar or would you say I've got a bad battery?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Tapo D230 battery
2023-10-30 09:30:50

@Chris-F 

Hi,
For the sake of power saving, the Camera is usually in a sleep state (low power consumption). The camera can be woken up when doing some operations on the APP like watching the camera’s live view. And it can also be woken up by the PIR sensor. 
How does the battery camera/doorbell be woken up?
When the doorbell faces a street, the events happening in front of the camera can cause the camera to be woken up frequently so the doorbell's battery is consumed quickly.

You can refer to the link to adjust the settings on the Tapo app to extend the battery life(such as reduce the wake-up sensitivity) and check if it's possible to use the wedge in the box that comes with the camera to adjust the camera's views to make it do not face the street so the battery will last for a longer time.
How do I extend the battery life of my Tapo Camera/Doorbell?

Best Regards

Options
2023-10-30 13:17:32

@Solla-topee thank you for the information and links. I understand all this and have already adjusted nearly all setting to the minimum sensitivity and recording length etc. this just feels like compromising the functionality of a device which ultimately is supposed to be designed to aid security and convenience at the front of a property  Plus the convenience of a wireless option is removed when having to change or charge the battery everyday even with all low settings.

Options
2023-10-31 09:08:26

@Chris-F 

Hi,
In this case, please help confirm the following information, and I'll escalate your case to the tech team for further analysis.
1) A picture of the camera's Device Settings>Detection page, and the pictures of the Wake-up Settings and Person detection pages.
2) A picture of the Battery Status page.
3) A picture of the Device Settings>Storage & Recording>Clip Settings.
4) A short video recorded on the camera's Live View page.

You can send the video and pictures to your cloud server(such as Google Drive) and generate a link, then send me the link via private message to download them.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-05 16:57:25

@Solla-topee I’ve been monitoring the device for several days now as it suddenly seemed to hold battery. It has only dropped 2% in the last 3 days which is a bit more like what I was expecting. 

I will continue to monitor and open a new support  ticket if required.

Thanks

Options
2023-11-06 11:34:55

@Chris-F 

Hi,
Thank you for your attempt and cooperation, and please feel free to contact us if you need further help.
Best Regards

Options
2023-12-22 11:52:07

@Chris-F 

Hi I got the same problem here. SInce yesterday after the firmware update  the app indicates that the doorbell has an empty battery. Via the hub I can still see the images that the camera has recorded and the doorbell itself also responds when I walk by. I think this really has to do with the new firmware. Before I installed this firmware the battery percentage stayed at 98% for weeks. So @TP-link can you solve this problem. Thanks Andre

Chris-F wrote

I installed a brand new Tapo D230 at 14:47 yesterday with a 100% charged batter, only to find it drained fully in less than 24 hours.

I have only person detection enabled with sensitivity level of 2. Wake up is set to event, retrigger time is set to 30 secs, record buffer to 3 secs and clip length to 30 secs. Night mode is set to infrared and video quality is at 960P.

The doorbell does face a street and there is a street light casting a shadow with moving trees, but I've set the privacy zone to block that area from recording.

I charged the battery again today and installed approx 19:20 and it is already down to 88%.

I don't expect to get the 180 days TP-Link advertiser but don't expect to have to charge the battery everyday, kind of defeats the object of not getting a wired doorbell. 

Has anyone else experienced similar or would you say I've got a bad battery?

Thanks

Options
2023-12-25 06:33:44

@andre123 

Hi,
Please try to remove the battery from the camera, wait for 10 seconds, insert the battery again, and ensure the camera and the battery connect tightly.

If the problem remains, please help confirm:
1) The detection type you have enabled and the sensitivity settings.
2) The LED status on the camera when someone walks in front of the camera and the battery shows 0 on the Tapo app.
3) If you have another battery for the doorbell, insert it into the doorbell and check if it has the same issue.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 600

Replies: 7

Related Articles