Live Streaming times out every 5 minutes with the new firmware 1.3.9 Build 231019

Live Streaming times out every 5 minutes with the new firmware 1.3.9 Build 231019

2023-11-19 06:52:56 - last edited 2023-12-29 06:27:02
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.9 Build 231019

Remote LIVE Viewing timing out every 5 minutes. Even after clicking on CONTINUE button on the time out message box, it still keeps popping up timeout message every 5 minutes and this is happening only after updating the firmware to 1.3.9 Build 231019.   With the previous firmware version, once I click on CONTINUE button it never timed out. 

I bought the Camera along with Tapo Care annual subscription as it supported LIVE STREAMING continuously without any interruption. But all of a sudden now this issue has come up. Huge disappointment. Hope the Tapo engineers will look into it and fix this broken functionality in the new firmware at the earliest.  

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Live Streaming times out every 5 minutes with the new firmware 1.3.9 Build 231019-Solution
2023-11-20 11:32:03 - last edited 2023-12-29 06:27:02

@namo9 

All Tapo cameras can be viewed continuously in the same local WiFi network as the camera, while remote viewing has time limits. 

Tapo Care provides cloud storage, and advanced features like Rich Notification, Weekly Report, Smart Sorting, etc. Continuously viewing is not a paid feature included in Tapo Care.

If you have trouble viewing Tapo camera continuously in the local WiFi network, check the tips below for help.

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Live Streaming times out every 5 minutes with the new firmware 1.3.9 Build 231019-Solution
2023-12-27 11:59:48 - last edited 2023-12-29 06:27:08

@Fotis69  @Kanseisan 

Hi,
If you can't stream the camera continuously when your phone connects to the same Wi-Fi as the camera, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. Describe your network diagram, for example, the internet cable--wireless router))) ((( Tapo cameras, phones, tablets, etc.
What’s the model number of your router?

2. Ensure your phone has no VPN running.

3. Turn off AP isolation and lower the firewall level on the router. 
Check if the phone or camera connects to an isolated network, like Guest Wi-Fi, or a different VLAN. 

4. Ensure the Tapo APP and camera firmware are up-to-date. 

5. Confirm if other devices are streaming the camera. If so, reboot the camera and only stream the camera with your phone for a try.

Please feel free to update your case with the above info if you are willing to continue troubleshooting, and we will always be here to help you.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
2023-11-20 11:32:03 - last edited 2023-12-29 06:27:02

@namo9 

All Tapo cameras can be viewed continuously in the same local WiFi network as the camera, while remote viewing has time limits. 

Tapo Care provides cloud storage, and advanced features like Rich Notification, Weekly Report, Smart Sorting, etc. Continuously viewing is not a paid feature included in Tapo Care.

If you have trouble viewing Tapo camera continuously in the local WiFi network, check the tips below for help.

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Live Streaming times out every 5 minutes with the new firmware 1.3.9 Build 231019
2023-11-20 23:04:55 - last edited 2023-11-20 23:09:10

@Wayne-TP  Continuous viewing after giving the consent (by clicking on CONTINUE button on the TimeOut messagebox) was working till couple of weeks back. How come it's broken now? Since you supported continuous viewing I went for annual Tapo Care subscription. It's not fair that you removed this functionality.  Even other customers are complaining about this issue in TapoCommunity. Refer https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/617298?replyId=1280842

So, what is stopping you to bring back the continuous streaming? PLEASE RAISE THIS WITH YOUR PRODUCT OWNERS/SOFTWARE ENGINEERS.

Also, when the customer is giving the consent to view the streaming continuously, what is worrying you about the customer's broadband network bandwidth and where is the energy conservation coming into the picture? LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE LOAD ON YOUR CLOUD SERVERS to support the continuous streaming. Is it part of your internal company strategy to reduce the expenses and avoid scale in/scale out of your streaming cloud servers? Other CAMERA Brands are offering continuous viewing as you may know. IF YOU DO NOT BRING BACK THE CONTINUOUS VIEWING OF THE STREAMING (SAY AFTER GIVING THE CONSENT thru the timeout message box), I WILL SWITCH TO OTHER CAMERA BRAND and ask for refund of the Tapo care annual subscription.. IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT YOU ARE GOING BACK ON YOUR OWN PROMISES BY REMOVING MAIN FEATURES AND CHALLENGING CUSTOMER RIGHTS...

And last but not the least, there is little or no value in having continuous viewing when camera and phone are on the same WIFI. THAT BREAKS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF REMOTE LIVE MONITORING CONTINUOUSLY...

Options
Re:Live Streaming times out every 5 minutes with the new firmware 1.3.9 Build 231019
2023-11-21 10:08:18

@namo9 This is happening to us too since I updated the firmware this week - makes the cameras unusable!

Options
2023-11-22 03:46:52

@namo9 

The continuous viewing rule for Tapo camera has been consistent, and there haven't been recent changes. 

If you need to view the camera continuously over a remote network, consider streaming it using the RTSP protocol. How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream

Feel free to submit a Feature Feedback here and stay tuned to TP-Link official website or TP-Link Smart Home Community for the latest information on our products. 

Options
2023-11-22 13:19:33

@Wayne-TP 

Please don't deviate from the topic.  The issue is from the Tapo Mobile client application.  And you are referring to the RTSP streaming. Both are entirely different.  RTSP needs special configuration on the router as per your documentation and is not user friendly or mobile friendly.  Basically, removing continuous streaming from the Tapo Mobile is nothing but moving to a hostile architecture/design  You can easily reproduce the issue from your end referring to the issue raised by me/others.  You can test the functionality (5 minutes Timeout issue even after giving the consent to continue) on the latest firmware and previous firmware to see the difference probably. Not sure you changed something on the Server side functionality also that might have trigerred this issue.  To repeat myslef, continuous streaming was working on Tapo Mobile app till few weeks back after giving the consent (i.e. by clicking on CONTINUE button in the timeout message box). So, how can you say it never worked. Looks like you are forcing me and many others to go and buy other brand cameras who are supporting continuous streaming thru mobile app/browser that's user friendly. 

Options
2023-11-23 12:08:14

@namo9 

It's a indeed a fact that tapo camera always has this limitation on remote viewing. This drives my brother crazy as he wants to monitor the baby (who owns unlimited data). I can live with that though, don't have much data and time.

Options
2023-11-27 01:54:25

@TTTusp 

Thanks for sharing your views.  I am not sure whether you/your brother got a different configuration (firmware, client app, geographical...).  It was indeed working for me till the new firmware update of late. Same has been confirmed by other users also in the community. 

Options
2023-12-12 01:54:42

@namo9 

Just stating the fact I know and I heard, unless they made an exception for certain models which I don't think so. You're not the only one who complains about their viewing policy.

Options
2023-12-18 01:46:51

@namo9 I have just had the same issue with my Tapo C320WS. I am viewing my camera on an OPPO android phone as I have for about a year but this is the first time I have had that notification. I have never had that before.

I am streaming direct through my home wifi as before and the phone has no sim card and cannot connect via mobile data.

I only watch the camera at home.

As I said this is new and has not happened before.

Extremely frustrating and I hope it can be sorted.

Options
2023-12-20 21:03:07 - last edited 2023-12-20 21:36:12

PLEASE fix this once and for all!! ALL your customers are complaining about this rediculous "feature" since 2019. To save data???

wish i had seen this forum before purchasing, stupid me.

Completely useless camera, so frustating and a waste of time, money and energy!!

4 cameras on the same network with the tablet I use for monitoring and i have to click on it every 5 minutes?? angry

4 cameras that i'll throw to the trash

I will float all forums and shops with negative comments about this stupid product so everybody can be warned about this.

USELESS

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1739

Replies: 18

Related Articles