Very poor wifi connection for my new C520WS camera.

2023-12-18 22:07:50
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

Hello, since a couple of days I mounted my new C520WS on a wall in the garden.

I als have a mesh network (Deco M9+).

I also have another 5 IP cams (4x TP and one Boavision)

Despite the new C520WS is roughly 8 meters away from my M9+, it has very much trouble to generate a stable connection.

When online the connection goes from + 200 KB/s to 7 KB/s and often looses the connection for several minutes???

Already did several network optimalisations with the deco's.

Cam is connected 2.4 Ghz

Cam has the latest firmware

Network connection in the cam app shows good (2 from the 3 green bars)

Know that my old Outdoor Boavision is 40 meter away from my Deco in the garage

My other Tapo C325WB is also +- 20 meter away from deco and doing very well.

I expected more from the C520WS with it's 2 external wifi antennas, or could it be another issue???

Regards.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Very poor wifi connection for my new C520WS camera.
2023-12-19 10:19:31

@thommypan 

Hi,
Thank you for your case report. Please confirm the following information for further analysis:

1. Are there any obstacles between Tapo C520WS and the Deco?

2. How many Deco units do you have? What is the distance between the Deco units and the C520WS? The issue could be caused by the camera roaming between different Deco units, resulting in an unstable signal. You can try to set up the Tapo C520WS to connect to the specific and nearest Deco using the Deco app.

3. What is the status of the System LED when the Tapo C520WS loses the connection? How do you determine that the camera is losing connection, for example, if the LED is flashing red or it shows as offline in the app?

4. You can try adjusting the antenna angle on the Tapo C520WS based on the actual usage scenario to see if it improves the performance of the camera.

Best Regards

Options
2023-12-20 19:51:01 - last edited 2023-12-20 22:03:35

@Solla-topee 

Hello, thanks for your answer.

I have 3 pieces Deco M9+.

One central in the house, one central on the 1st floor and another one in the garage.

mesh is very strong between the 3.

Also outside the house is a very strong and stable WiFi signal, even 40 meter away from the nearest Deco I have very good wifi for the Boavision that is mounted on the garden shed.

This C520WS is at 8 meters away from the deco with only a brick wall inbetween.

Several time I resetted the 520, but somethimes it does not switch between the Cam wifi and my wifi network when I wanna install the camera after reset.

In the app the cam does not find my wifi network...strange because the signal is very strong.

Sometimes the 520 finds it, but after a while the connection becommes instable and it looses the connection.

I have installed + 20 wifi cams with success, so I think how this works

At my home I have also in total 7 cams ( 5x outdoor) and have no problems with these. ( 4x Tapo and 2x Eufy and 1 Boavision)

I gave it up and gonna return the C520WS tomorrow, sorry...

Sorry for my English, it is not my native language.

Options
2023-12-21 08:51:37

@thommypan 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. If you are willing to do further troubleshooting, you can change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on the Deco or move the camera's location for a try, and I can also escalate your case to the tech team for further analysis. 
Please feel free to reply to me if you need any help.
Best Regards

Options
2023-12-21 19:28:15 - last edited 2023-12-21 19:28:34

@Solla-topee 

Thank you very much for the answer.

I already have been refunded by Amazon.

I would to try another C520WS, because I think there was something wrong with the device.

I have several Tapo cams, much further away as this C520WS was and have no connection problems with none of them.

Problem is, I bought the C520WS for €60,40 (promotion at that time), but if I wan't to buy another at this moment, the cam is now €89!

Regrettably Amazon don't send a repalcement.

Best Regards

Options
2023-12-22 08:19:49

@thommypan 

Hi, 
You can contact Amazon support to check if it's possible to get a replacement, or you can go to Where to Buy>>Online Stores to check if there are better prices in other stores.
Best Regards

Options
2023-12-24 13:35:00

@Solla-topee 

Yesterday I recieved the new C520WS...

With some distrus everything mounted and programmed...this one seems to do it good!

No longer drop-outs and the wifi signal is very strong.

Mounted on the same spot as the first one ;-)

So I was right that the previous one was not a good device.

PS, I could not buy a new one for the same price at amazon, so I bought one at bol (€20 more as the one I bought in promotion at amazon)

grts!

Options
2023-12-26 06:49:55

@thommypan 

Hi,
Thank you for your case sharingyes  and support of our product, and you can enjoy the camera now.
Best Regards

Options
2023-12-30 03:32:34
Thom….. do you get “Disconnect Notifications from Deco App” on yours? I have 3 cam C520WS and all with strong signal and i will get lots of notifications. i already have a ticket open with supports for a couple weeks now and no luck so far. using 3 Deco XE75 with ethernet backhaul.
Options
2023-12-30 19:34:08

@Zigaroo 

No, I did not get disconnect notifications in the deco app.

Options
2024-01-03 03:29:58

@Zigaroo 

Hi,
It's recommended to continue troubleshooting with the tech team if you have a ticket opened already, and they will follow up on your case to help you locate and solve the issue.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1267

Replies: 12

Related Articles