Video resolution and snapshots (a workaround solution!)

2024-01-08 12:49:16
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

Hi - I have bought a few of these cameras. They are much, much better than the old ones I had, and in general, I am pleased with them.

However (!), the 2k QHD resolution is pretty useless IMO. Certainly does not live up to the advertising - The reason - The high-quality stream has so much compression added, probably to make it stream effectively, that the fine details are all lost anyway. It cannot read a license plate from 20ft away. It's that bad.

So, 2 questions - Does this improve any if using a wired connection? (perhaps it compresses more over wifi?)

And, 2 - There seems no way like almost every other camera I have owned to take a jpeg still. If this were possible, and without the huge compression, you could get a high-quality still that you could store for your evidence images, and relate it to the video. It's a perfect workaround for all the people complaining about the video resolution. This is supported in many of the video platforms, including the one I currently use.  Is it possible to grap a native jpeg still from this camera?

Thanks.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Video resolution and snapshots (a workaround solution!)
2024-01-09 09:58:38

@pjs_gsy 

Hi,
1. The camera's video quality feature won't change if using a wired connection instead of a Wi-Fi connection.

2. On the camera's Live View page, you can tap the camera icon to take a picture of the Live View page, and the picture is saved on the Playback & Download>Download page.

3. Is the car moving in front of the camera thus the camera can't read its license plate? If not, can I have a picture of the camera's Live View page that displays the license plate of a car from 20 feet away?

Best Regards

Options
2024-01-09 16:03:49

@Solla-topee Here is a still taken from the high resolution video feed (stream1). The camera is set to the highest 2k resolution. Yes, the bike is moving, but look at all the static detail around it too. Not moving, and pretty much same quality. I would need a way to fetch from the camera via a URL a high resolution JPEG, I think

Options
2024-01-10 08:17:01

@pjs_gsy 

Hi,
Are you watching the camera via RTSP stream and capturing the picture on a third-party app/program? It is hard to read the bike's license plate if it's moving, and the static detail behind the moving bike is blurry may be related to the moving bike, as you can see the section in front of the bike is in good image quality. It would be highly appreciated if you could provide the full video to check if the camera is working fine.
By the way, currently, the camera does not support fetching a picture via URL.
Best Regards

Options
2024-01-10 09:00:11

@Solla-topee 

Yes - I am watching and recording the RSTP stream in another application because I cannot watch on my phone all day. lol. 

it would seem that the video compression is dumbing down the original frame resolution excessively. Certainly, there's no way you'd capture that image of the dog leaping like that!  Unless there is a setting I am missing somewhere.

Not quite sure it leaves up to its advertising material at this stage!

Here is a raw stream1 vlc recording as an example - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17O6XG-lCUTv3796N8q_npSmlLCgpPi3G/view?usp=sharing

Options
2024-01-11 06:18:37

@pjs_gsy 

Hi,
Thank you for the video recordings, I have reported the case to the tech team, and they will contact you via email for further analysis. Please check your email box and confirm.
Best Regards

Options
2024-02-16 09:40:29

@Solla-topee Nobody has been in contact yet.

Options
2024-02-22 09:11:43

@pjs_gsy 

Hi,
Your case has been escalated and the ticket ID is TKID240120449, I have informed the team to reply to you as soon as possible, please wait patiently.
Best Regards

Options
2024-04-14 06:18:57

@pjs_gsy did you ever hear from TP-Link on this? I have the same issue, terrible video quality when there is significant motion in the frame

Options
2024-04-14 06:29:15 - last edited 2024-04-14 06:29:50

@echamakiotis Eventually, after I followed up some weeks later, someone did reply asking me to send more video but recorded via the mobile app. I have not done this, partly because I do not use the app, but AgentDVR, and the video I already supplied is exactly the same stream anyway. I suspect it was just a response for the sake of it. It would be really easy to replicate if they just watched any motion for a few minutes on their own cameras. I think the reality is I have to change the hardware for true 2k, or 4k.I feel quite let down by these. The marketing and sample images were misleading and dishonest IMO. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 853

Replies: 9

Related Articles