Tapo C200 random offline behaviour - when out of home network

2024-02-26 14:44:16
Model: Tapo C200   Tapo C210   Tapo C500  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

Hi!

I have started getting a wierd behaviour from some of my Tapo cameras where the appear offline in my app when outside of my local network, as soon as I connect to my home network they are online and working again.

I have shared units with my wife and the same cameras appear offline in her app as well when out of the house and show up online again when at home.

If one of us is at home that persons app/cameras can work while the other who is out dont.

This is a random behaviour and I cannot see any pattern to when or why they go offline.

The issue seems to mostly be related to cameras with firmware version 1.3.11 both C200 and C210 cameras.

I have the following setup:

2 units - C200 - 2.0 - 1.3.9 (Theese have worked for the most part, i rarely see any offline behaviour from this version).

4 units - C200 - 3.0 - 1.3.11 (All 4 of theese went offline today in combination with my C210, from time to time single cameras pop offline at random when outside of network)

1 unit - C210 - 2.0 - 1.3.11 (This one have been one of the most stable of all my cameras but went offline today together with the other 1.3.11 C200 cameras)

1 unit - C500 - 1.0 - 1.1.2 (Seems to have its own issue - could be bad signal since this one is connected to a repeater)

Signal stregnth for the different cameras seems good enough in my oppinion:

Cam 1 - C200 - 2.0 - 1.3.9   - -51 (RSSI)

Cam 2 - C200 - 3.0 - 1.3.11 - -52 (RSSI)

Cam 3 - C200 - 3.0 - 1.3.11 - -59 (RSSI)

Cam 4 - C200 - 2.0 - 1.3.9   - -50 (RSSI)

Cam 5 - C200 - 3.0 - 1.3.11 - -34 (RSSI)

Cam 6 - C210 - 2.0 - 1.3.11 - -57 (RSSI)

Cam 7 - C200 - 3.0 - 1.3.11 - -58 (RSSI)

Cam 8 - C500 - 1.0 - 1.1.2   - -53 (RSSI)

On the network side of things i thought it might be my router so i invested in a new one but the promblem still persists.

I now use a Asus RT-AX58U - dual band with WiFi 6 - this one did boost my signal stregnth alot since prior to the change i had values around 60-70 (RSSI).

I have assigned fixed IP's for all the cameras and the router is set to reboot 2-3 times a week to clear cache (during night time so this is not when the cameras go offline).

I dont know what else to try at this point since i cant seem to pinpoint what is causing the app to list the cameras as offline when clearly they are not.

Could it be a timeout setting in the app that after not getting a response in a certain time lists the camera as offline? And if so, why does it seem to be the only way to reset this is to go home and connect to the same wifi? I would have prefered to be able to refresh (witch seems to be possible by exiting the app or dragging down the view) but nothing happens when i do this. Cell reception on our phones has also been ruled out since the same cameras go offline when we are at 2 different locations outside of home (we also have different cell providers and brands on our phones, iPhone and Redmi so the phones OS doesnt seem to be the answer).

Thankful for any insight or help in this matter.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 random offline behaviour - when out of home network
2024-02-27 12:03:44

@JohannesV 

Hi,
You can refer to the link below to troubleshoot if your cameras keep going offline on the Tapo app.
What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

If the problem remains, please help check the following information.
1. What's the LED status on the camera when it shows offline on the Tapo app when using mobile data?
2. How do you recover the connection, wait for the camera to recover automatically, or reboot the camera will recover the connection?

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 166

Replies: 1

Related Articles