[Android] Tapo App does not respect my notification settings while the app is open

[Android] Tapo App does not respect my notification settings while the app is open

2 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Not needed

Hello, The tapo app does not respect my notification settings while the app is opened and active

1. I've set the tapo notifications to silent using android's native app notification settings

2. The notifications are indeed silent while the app is closed or running in background

3. However if the app is open and running, the notifications are NOT silent, and it's annoying as hell especially when I'm already monitoring the camera I'm concerned with (why do you need alerts if the video is already running). The notification sounds are also spammy because I have a lot of cameras.

Please let me know how I can disable any in-app notification sounds. The "Device Notifications" setting will totally disable the alerts and it doesn't help.

Why does the app do this anyway? Why does it not respect the app notification setting? Anyone also experiencing this? it happens on all of my devices (Samsung S24 Ultra, Tab S8+)

Options
4 Reply
Re:[Android] Tapo App does not respect my notification settings while the app is open
2 weeks ago

@DaryllDe 

Hi,
On the Android phone/tablet, your phone and Tapo app will receive notifications if your camera has enabled the notification feature. If you set the notification to be silent on your phone for the Tapo app, the notification sent to your phone will be silent. 

The notification sent to your Tapo app won't prompt when the app is closed but will sound to notify you when your app is opened, and the settings won't be controlled by your phone's notification settings.
If you don't want the notification sound when opening the Tapo app, please go to the Tapo app>Me>Notifications>Do Not Disturb page to enable this feature and set the time you do not want to receive notifications.

Best Regards

Options
Re:[Android] Tapo App does not respect my notification settings while the app is open
2 weeks ago

@Solla-topee Thank you, but that's not what I want to achieve. I have set Tapo's notifications to silent on the android notifications settings level but the tapo app keeps ringing if it's open which means it bypasses the android notification setting. Why did the app dev think this was a good idea? How to disable that feature without totally disabling notifications? I just want to mute the notifications even when the app is open please. Thank you

Options
2 weeks ago

@DaryllDe I agree, that seems like a strange 'feature'.

If tp-link don't have an answer, then a get-around would be to set the notification to a silent sound. Create or download a silent sound file and set the notification to play that smiley

Options
2 weeks ago

@DaryllDe 

Hi, 
Currently, it's unable to make the notification sent to the Tapo app to be silent. It's recommended to start a new thread here to post your feature request, and I'll log it and forward it to the related team to evaluate.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 151

Replies: 4

Related Articles