Motion detection C500

Motion detection C500

Motion detection C500
Motion detection C500
2024-04-15 18:05:06 - last edited 2024-04-26 08:01:56

I have just started on the Tapo journey and purchased a couple of C500 . I was impressed with the ease of setup and quality of the kit but find the motion detection issues a little of a pain . Swaying trees etc take the focus of the camera when motion tracking is set . The person detection is a good working feature though so as a workaround I have set a smart function so that the motion tracking is triggered on only when it 'sees' a person , my question is and something I have not tested yet is - when the person goes out of the frame and is lost by tracking will motion detection / tracking then turn off ? . If not would it be possible to have this happen ie if motion tracking is on but no person is detected within an adjustable time delay it turns off and the camera returns to the normal focal point until another body is identified and the smart function then turns on motion tracking again . This would stop all the false triggering with motion detection ? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Motion detection C500-Solution
2024-04-17 11:59:59 - last edited 2024-04-26 08:01:56

@Tinkerer_Mark 

Hi,
In your situation, the following instructions may help you reduce the false detection.
How to reduce motion detections from rain, snow or insects,etc

You can also try the tips you mentioned via the Smart Action feature on the Tapo app. For example, add the following two automation entries.
How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices
1) Turn on the C500's Motion Tracking feature when it detects a person.
2) Turn off the C500's Motion Tracking feature when it detects a person with a delayed action(such as 2 minutes).

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Motion detection C500-Solution
2024-04-17 11:59:59 - last edited 2024-04-26 08:01:56

@Tinkerer_Mark 

Hi,
In your situation, the following instructions may help you reduce the false detection.
How to reduce motion detections from rain, snow or insects,etc

You can also try the tips you mentioned via the Smart Action feature on the Tapo app. For example, add the following two automation entries.
How to create Smart Action (automation or a shortcut) of my Tapo devices
1) Turn on the C500's Motion Tracking feature when it detects a person.
2) Turn off the C500's Motion Tracking feature when it detects a person with a delayed action(such as 2 minutes).

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Motion detection C500
2024-04-19 08:35:31

@Solla-topee 

The Camera is much more stable and the false triggering caused by movement of anything but a person is much much better , thanks

I have the following settings ...

camera homepage / camera detection settings - turn off motion detection and motion tracking 

in the smart menu - create the following smart triggers

camera detects person = turn on motion tracking 

then create another trigger 

camera detects a person = turn off motion tracking and set delay in this action 1 or 2 minutes ( still testing best time to set but 1 or 2 minutes seems to work well ) 

Thanks 

Options
2024-04-19 09:05:10

@Tinkerer_Mark  Hi, glad to hear these tips were helpful to you smiley

Options
2024-04-22 18:10:13

@Solla-topee 

I found that the initial response of tracking with the above smart application setup was workable but a bit slow to initially detect the person but if I add a 2 second delay to the ' turn on motion tracking ' trigger then the tracking picks up a person almost immediately and starts to track. Iam not sure why that would be but it definitely works better . 

thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 606

Replies: 4

Related Articles