C520WS not detecting person in low light - Upgrade to C325WB?

2024-05-04 15:09:01 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:
I have the C520WS, but I’m having trouble with it detecting a person walking on the distant street. From the camera to the street, it’s about 36 feet away, and even though it’s not completely dark, there’s little light, with only streetlights in the distance.

As you can see from the picture I posted, a moving object becomes really blurry and in this situation, the camera can’t detect it at all, even with motion detection, let alone with person detection. As a result, no recordings are triggered.

Unfortunately, I can not move the camera any closer and I'd prefer to avoid putting an extra light source if possible. So I am looking to replace my C520WS with the C325WB. 
Do you think that the C325WB can detect a person with its brighter lens in my situation?
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C520WS not detecting person in low light - Upgrade to C325WB?-Solution
2024-05-08 12:28:13 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@PixelPaladin 

Hi,
In certain low-light conditions, due to the influence of several factors, such as Shutter/exposure time, Object movement speed, Noise Interference, etc., the Tapo C325WB may also display blurry images, and the workaround is to improve the lighting condition using the spotlight.

For the reported case, if the Tapo C520WS works in the Night mode but the camera displays such an image, what mode do you select on the Night Mode Settings page? Can you share the corresponding video for further analysis?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:C520WS not detecting person in low light - Upgrade to C325WB?
2024-05-07 07:14:45

@PixelPaladin 

Hi,
In this situation, please help check the Video mode(Day, Night, or Auto) selected on the camera's Live View page.

If you select the Day mode, it's suggested to change the mode to Auto on the Live View page and check if the camera will detect the event properly. On the camera's Device Settings>Video & Display >Night Mode Settings, you can select the Full-Color Mode, so the spotlight will turn on to see a colorful image at night.
Best Regards

Options
Re:C520WS not detecting person in low light - Upgrade to C325WB?
2024-05-07 10:22:42 - last edited 2024-05-07 10:23:09

The picture above was taken in Night mode, and it seems that the camera’s IR light isn’t sufficient for my needs. The area is probably too dark and the subject too distant for the camera to capture clear images. I prefer not to use the spotlight, which is why I’m considering switching to the C325WB model.

However, I’m not entirely sure if the C325WB will be able to see and detect a person given the specific conditions of darkness and distance. Does anyone have experience with the C325WB’s performance in similar situations? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Options
Re:C520WS not detecting person in low light - Upgrade to C325WB?-Solution
2024-05-08 12:28:13 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@PixelPaladin 

Hi,
In certain low-light conditions, due to the influence of several factors, such as Shutter/exposure time, Object movement speed, Noise Interference, etc., the Tapo C325WB may also display blurry images, and the workaround is to improve the lighting condition using the spotlight.

For the reported case, if the Tapo C520WS works in the Night mode but the camera displays such an image, what mode do you select on the Night Mode Settings page? Can you share the corresponding video for further analysis?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 193

Replies: 3

Related Articles