C310 Camera does not respond to IP Ping on Guest network

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

I have two Tapo C310P2 Ver 2 cameras. They are both installed outside my home and both have SD cards in use but I have not enrolled in the Tapo Care Cloud service, not even for the free trail.  Both are working well and I can monitor them in the Tapo app on my Android phone and Android tablet.

My router is a TP-Link ER-605 and I have TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi units acting as access points in various parts of my house.

Both cameras are connected by Wi-Fi to the Guest SSID provided by the Deco units. The Guest SSID is set to 2.4Ghz only.

My problem is that I cannot ping either of the cameras from my Windows 11 desktop computer, or any other computer or phone or tablet on my home network.  I supect that this is because of some setting on the ER-605 router or the Deco M4 access points.  I can ping both cameras successfully from the ER-605 router, using its own diagnostics.

Since I cannot ping the cameras from my desktop computer, I cannot use VLC to view the stream1 or stream2 from the cameras.

Can you please suggest what I should do so that I can view the stream1 or stream2 from the cameras using VLC.  I was able to do that successfully when I was testing the cameras indoors using an ethernet cable and before installing an SD card. However I believe that the C310 camera does support both a stream to VLC and an SD card simultaneously as long as Tapo Care is not used.  Now that the cameras are using Wi-Fi to communicate, it seems that something is blocking the IP stream which is why I cannot ping them.  The puzzling thing is that both cameras are communicating smoothly with the Tapo app.  I don't understand how that is working when I cannot ping the cameras from the same device.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C310 Camera does not respond to IP Ping on Guest network-Solution

@GSG2024 

Hi,
Since the Tapo cameras are connected to the internet, you can control the cameras with the Tapo app via the TP-Link cloud server even if the local connection is not reached.

From your description, the problem may be related to the network settings. If the Deco M4 works in the AP mode rather than Router mode, you can refer to the instructions below to check if the "Allow Local Access" is enabled on the Guest Network>Advanced page on the Deco app. If it's disabled, the devices connected to the guest network can't communicate with the devices connected to the main network.
How to set up a Guest Network for Deco?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:C310 Camera does not respond to IP Ping on Guest network-Solution

@GSG2024 

Hi,
Since the Tapo cameras are connected to the internet, you can control the cameras with the Tapo app via the TP-Link cloud server even if the local connection is not reached.

From your description, the problem may be related to the network settings. If the Deco M4 works in the AP mode rather than Router mode, you can refer to the instructions below to check if the "Allow Local Access" is enabled on the Guest Network>Advanced page on the Deco app. If it's disabled, the devices connected to the guest network can't communicate with the devices connected to the main network.
How to set up a Guest Network for Deco?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:C310 Camera does not respond to IP Ping on Guest network
2 weeks ago

Many thanks for your quick reply.  You were absolutely correct. "Allow Local Access" was disabled in the Deco M4 settings for the Guest network.  As soon as I enabled that setting, I was able to ping the cameras from my desktop computer and VLC was able to display the rtsp streams.  VLC is also able to record the video stream, which is very useful.

Once again, many thanks for your reply.  It is refreshing to find a manufacturer support representative who actually answers the specific question asked, rather than reply with generic advice pasted in from a faq document.  After perusing this forum, it looks as if TP-Link has some good support staff.

Options
Re:C310 Camera does not respond to IP Ping on Guest network
2 weeks ago

@GSG2024 Glad to hear your case is solved and thank you for your support of our product~ smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 90

Replies: 3

Related Articles