can i save data by streaming camera when motion detected only?

2024-07-29 17:58:14

Im not refering to the recording to an SD card I am refering to the camera using all of my data allowance (mobile phone sim card pay as you go) when the camera is on

Is it possible for it to only come on when motion is detected?

Thanks

Options
9 Reply
Re:can i save data by streaming camera when motion detected only?
2024-07-30 11:46:56

@HobGobling 

Hi,
Is the camera connected to a hotspot Wi-Fi from your phone(use mobile data from the SIM card) to go to the internet? 

If the camera is connected to your home Wi-Fi router to go to the internet, and you are using the mobile data on your phone to stream the camera, you can enable the motion detection feature and notification feature on the Tapo app for your camera, then only stream the camera when receiving a motion-detected notification.

Best Regards

Options
2024-07-30 16:35:20 - last edited 2024-07-30 16:36:02

@Solla-topee 

I dont know what a hotspot Wi-Fi from your phone. It mobile internet with a sim card in a whifi device that connects the phone to the internet
the camera is NOT connected to a home wifi router again it is mobile pay as you go sim card

you can enable the motion detection feature and notification feature on the Tapo app for your camera, 
then only stream the camera when receiving a motion-detected notification.

then how do you do that please?

Options
2024-07-31 07:04:00

@HobGobling 

Hi, 
Your question is related to your usage scenario/network topology. 
If I understand correctly, you have a Wi-Fi router with a built-in SIM card. This router uses the SIM card to access the Internet and provides a Wi-Fi network for your phone and camera to connect to. 
If not, please describe your network topology in detail so I can provide proper suggestions.
Best Regards

Options
2024-07-31 14:51:58

@Solla-topee  Not quite but very simular indeed! the sim card is not built into it you insert a Voda phone card into it and this can be a pay as you go sim or contract sim 

The wifi device is called a "vodafone 4G mobile hotspot model R228t" and i am using a pay as you go sim card inside of it which I have a £15 bubdel that gives me unlimited minutes and text and 20GB of data per month. And this wifi device connects to my smart phone  and camera

Again is it possible to stream only when motion is detected and how do I set this up please?

Options
2024-08-01 10:13:04

@HobGobling 

Hi, 
In your usage scenario:
1) The camera needs to connect to the internet all the time so you can manage and control it no matter when and where.

2) On your phone> Tapo app>Camera's Device Settings>Detection and Notification page, you can configure the Detection and Notification settings as per your desire. For example, if you want to receive a notification when the camera detects a motion, you can enable the motion detection feature and the notification feature.
How to configure the Notification feature for the Tapo camera on the Tapo app?

How to use the Detection function of the Tapo cameras?

With the Detection and Notification features configured, you can stream the camera when you receive a notification on your phone.

Best Regards

Options
2024-08-01 18:36:00 - last edited 2024-08-01 18:37:37

@Solla-topee 

In your usage scenario:
1) The camera needs to connect to the internet all the time so you can manage and control it no matter when and where.

2) On your phone> Tapo app>Camera's Device Settings>Detection and Notification page, you can configure the Detection and Notification settings as per your desire. For example, if you want to receive a notification when the camera detects a motion, you can enable the motion detection feature and the notification feature.
How to configure the Notification feature for the Tapo camera on the Tapo app?

How to use the Detection function of the Tapo cameras?

With the Detection and Notification features configured, you can stream the camera when you receive a notification on your phone.

From Device settings there is a choise of "Dection" and "notiications" (dont see a detection and notiications page together thugh!)

Neither of the two pages I found above have a "Detection and Notification settings"

However there is the option from the "Detection page" for "motion detection" and going into that page it is switch on. Under that it says "Detect in real time whether there is motion within the cameras view. Receive instant notiications when motion is detected if you have allowed notificatioons

Again it is switched on (and it will not allow me to switch it of!). But I am still seeing live video fotage on my phone. meaning that it must be streaming data all of the time as my phone must be reciving the data though the internet; is it not?

Options
2024-08-02 06:44:54

@HobGobling 

Hi,
1. I'm sorry that I didn't explain it clearly. As you can see in the Detection feature and Notification feature configuration guide, on the camera's Device Settings page, there is a Detection feature and a Notification feature, and they are separate.

2. Setting the Detection feature and Notification feature will not affect you watching the camera's live feed. After these two features are set, you will be notified through notifications when the camera detects an event.
Watching the camera live feed on the Tapo app or not is up to you, you can choose to watch the camera live feed at any time or only watch the camera live feed when you receive a notification.
Typically, the data usage of watching the camera live feed on your phone is proportional to the viewing time. The longer the viewing time, the more data is used.

3. Usually, there is no problem to disable the motion detection feature on the Tapo camera. If you can't disable it, what error message appears when you try to disable it?

Best Regards

Options
2024-08-03 02:54:23

@Solla-topee 

Are you saying that the camera will live stream data from the cameras side Anyway regardless of motion detection?

disable the motion detection feature. It wont disable, you disable it and then go back to the last page and it just enables it showing "on" like it never happened and with no error message

Options
2024-08-05 06:43:57

@HobGobling 

Hi,
1. In your usage scenario, the camera will always connect to the internet and consume data for internet connection, however, it won't upload the live feed to the cloud server unless you watch the live feed on your phone, or if you have subscribed to the Tapo Care service, the detection video clips will be uploaded to the cloud server for storage.

2. Please ensure the camera's firmware and the Tapo app are up to date, then you can reboot the camera, and check if you can disable the motion detection feature on the camera.
If the problem remains, please help collect the camera log for further analysis.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera?

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 273

Replies: 9

Related Articles