Tapo RV30 bugs & oddities
Tapo RV30 bugs & oddities
2024-08-04 19:52:24 - last edited a week ago
Model: Tapo RV30  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I bought the RV30 for my wife, and I am disappointed

I can say that the mechanic seems fine, and the robot clean well; nevertheless the software has too many bugs and instructions are wrong sometimes

for example, even if the mapping is correct, the robot often forgets the map, and it cleans multiple times the same area, or it forgets to clean certain areas

another issue is that it's not correct that the robot hits multiple times the same fixed furniture that is mapped already: IMHO it should move after/around without touch it

and another issue is that the user cannot add walls if they are too much little, and it means that any mapping error (e.g. 2 different rooms joined together) cannot be fixed

a SEVERE issue is that the mapping is not retained if the position of some thing changes, and while a dynamic mapping can be seen as a pro's, it's actually a con's because if you forget e.g. to close the door to the balcony, the robot re-maps it and will insist on cleaning it so losing a lot of time and energy

another SEVERE issue is that the manual says a second smartphone can control the same robot, but doing that the mappings of the 1st smartphone are deleted, YUK!

And, another issue is that I cannot add a second room to clean after the first one without sending it home first; and I cannot delete a map that contains errors, but I have to create another one risking to lose the other 2, YUK!

And I cannot understand why I am forced to keep the Wi-Fi ON considering how much easy id doing a backup of the maps in the user's smartphone, so skipping any Wi-Fi or Internet failure

And, why the robot moves every day a few cm from the charger without being asked, so it happens almost always that I have to reposition it otherwise it will never start?

And why the app GUI is so messy? It is one of the most illogical GUI ever seen!

Last but not least, I get that a detergent cannot be used because it can "damage the water tank", but what's the material of water tank?

Paper maybe?

If it is polycarbonate as it seems, why I cannot use a vacum-robot-grade detergent?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo RV30 bugs & oddities-Solution
2024-08-07 07:21:12 - last edited a week ago

@ClaudPorcellana 

The robot vacuum uses LiDAR sensors to scan the environment and create a map. Unlike the type of robot vacuum with a camera, it can't accurately identify the shape and type of objects it encounters. Disruptions to the radar scan, such as low furniture, thin table legs, strong sunlight on tiled floors, or reflective objects like mirrors, can interfere with the scan's accuracy and lead to related issues. 

The automatic map update is one of the features to improve the vacuum's overall performance. Even if the initial mapping is inaccurate, if a room is excluded due to a closed door during cleaning, or if the furniture layout changes, the vacuum will update the map in subsequent cleanings. It's common that everyone has different usage habits and needs, if you're not a fan of this feature, you can use the map backup feature to restore the map before or after cleaning.

Device control on multiple phones is supported. You can either log in to the same TP-Link account on another phone or share the robot vacuum with a different TP-Link account. How to share my Tapo Smart Devices with family

Did you reconfigure the robot vacuum when using another phone? 

To set the room cleaning order, click "Custom" in the Rooms section. What is Custom Cleaning of the robot vacuum?

Local control is supported on the Tapo robot vacuum. The main functions like cleaning and mapping still function without internet, or in the area without WiFi signal. 

Different cleaning agents have varying pH levels and proportions of acidic and alkaline components. Even cleaning solutions specifically made for robot vacuums can differ in their formulations across brands. As the exact formula of the cleaning agents is unclear, it might contain certain ingredients or combinations that may cause corrosion to the water tank. 

Regarding the App GUI, you can elaborate on what you think is unreasonable and how you think it should be. We will forward your feedback to the relevant department for viewing and evaluation.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo RV30 bugs & oddities-Solution
2024-08-07 07:21:12 - last edited a week ago

@ClaudPorcellana 

The robot vacuum uses LiDAR sensors to scan the environment and create a map. Unlike the type of robot vacuum with a camera, it can't accurately identify the shape and type of objects it encounters. Disruptions to the radar scan, such as low furniture, thin table legs, strong sunlight on tiled floors, or reflective objects like mirrors, can interfere with the scan's accuracy and lead to related issues. 

The automatic map update is one of the features to improve the vacuum's overall performance. Even if the initial mapping is inaccurate, if a room is excluded due to a closed door during cleaning, or if the furniture layout changes, the vacuum will update the map in subsequent cleanings. It's common that everyone has different usage habits and needs, if you're not a fan of this feature, you can use the map backup feature to restore the map before or after cleaning.

Device control on multiple phones is supported. You can either log in to the same TP-Link account on another phone or share the robot vacuum with a different TP-Link account. How to share my Tapo Smart Devices with family

To set the room cleaning order, click "Custom" in the Rooms section. What is Custom Cleaning of the robot vacuum?

Local control is supported on the Tapo robot vacuum. The main functions like cleaning and mapping still function without internet, or in the area without WiFi signal. 

Different cleaning agents have varying pH levels and proportions of acidic and alkaline components. Even cleaning solutions specifically made for robot vacuums can differ in their formulations across brands. As the exact formula of the cleaning agents is unclear, it might contain certain ingredients or combinations that may cause corrosion to the water tank. 

Regarding the App GUI, you can elaborate on what you think is unreasonable and how you think it should be. We will forward your feedback to the relevant department for viewing and evaluation.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo RV30 bugs & oddities
2024-08-07 16:23:05 - last edited 2024-08-07 16:24:24

The robot vacuum uses LiDAR sensors to scan the environment and create a map. Unlike the type of robot vacuum with a camera, it can't accurately identify the shape and type of objects it encounters.

------ OK, in this case you should find a way to have the radar dome lower, otherwise it can be damaged

Device control on multiple phones is supported. You can either log in to the same TP-Link account on another phone or share the robot vacuum with a different TP-Link account. How to share my Tapo Smart Devices with family

------- I tried 2 ways: sending an invitation to my phone and it didn't work

Then I tried to connect my phone to it, and I was never offered the option to keep the previous map

At the end of the procedure, it seemed that the map was in the cloud, but it disappeared

------- I would be glad to show bugs & oddities, but time is needed to make a proper textual and iconographic description, so please wait some days

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 131

Replies: 2

Related Articles