TP-Link Tapo Cameras - Static Noise in RTSP but not in app.

2024-08-08 17:40:19
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.14

Heyo,

I have 4 C200 Cameras in my apartment.Me and my gf use them to monitor the dog when he's home alone. We want to record to our local server since we're now letting him use the balcony during the hot days, and we want to make sure he doesn't park at people passing by below.

I get this weird static crackling noise in the background when using RTSP, I attached a sound recording of the issue.

Any idea what's causing this? The sound is perfectly fine in their Tapo Smartphone app, but via RTSP it's constant crackling.

I've had this before on one of my previous cameras when I had D-Link cameras, also cheap and I figured it was because it was broken and quality of the camera was so so.
But this sound is on all 4 of my cameras, but to varying degree.

It sounds like some sort of interference, but shouldn't that be present in the app too then?

They're all connected via 2.4 ghz Wifi to a Unifi U6-LR AP. All are less than 5 meters away from the AP.

Any ideas?

File:
Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link Tapo Cameras - Static Noise in RTSP but not in app.
2024-08-09 08:54:58

@guemi 

Hi,
1. What app and device are you using to store the camera video recordings vis RTSP?
2. Please try to use the iSpy or VLC program to stream the camera via RTSP on a PC, and then check if the same issue happens.
How to view the Tapo camera on PC through RTSP/Onvif Protocol?
Best Regards

Options
2024-08-09 09:00:00 - last edited 2024-08-09 09:02:43

@Solla-topee 

Hello Solla!

1. Right now I am not recording, just viewing. But I was use iSpy for it.

2. Those are the exact softwares I've used hehe. The recoding attached is recorded from VLC. But the same issue is present when adding the cameras to iSpy, both recordings and live view.

I forgot to add that to the main post, but I've tried factory reseting one camera. They're all latest firmware, and I even played around with the power line settings since to me this sounds like some sort of interference, but I am far from an audio expert.

No dice. :(

Options
2024-08-12 11:29:40

@guemi 

Hi,
When the video taken by the camera is displayed or recorded on the Tapo app, it will go through some algorithm calculations, such as noise reduction processing, so it is normal when viewed on the Tapo app. However, the video viewed or recorded on a third-party app is related to the processing of the corresponding app, so it may show different effects, such as appear some static noise.
Best Regards

Options
2024-08-15 21:15:00

@Solla-topee 

Okey, so let me see if I get this right: This issue goes under "Working as intended" according to you guys at TP Link and you're going to do nothing about it?

Options
2024-08-22 08:22:05

@guemi 

Hi,
We can't do anything about third-party apps. If you are willing to do further troubleshooting, please share the 4 cameras' audio on the Tapo app and the third-party app for further analysis.
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 301

Replies: 5

Related Articles