What should I do if I fail to configure Tapo Camera?

Released On: a week agoLast update time: a week ago

The Tapo App will guide you step-by-step during the initial configuration, but you may not be able to get through all the steps due to some interference. You may see the following error messages on the Tapo app when configuring the camera, and below are some suggestions to go through the setup process.

Before configuring the camera:

1. Install the latest Tapo App from the App Store or Google Play.
    2. Please ensure the System LED is blinking red and green. If not, reset the camera by holding the RESET button for over 5s until the LED blinks red.
    3. Confirm the model number of your Tapo camera.

Case 1. Cannot see the Tapo Camera's Wi-Fi on the phone

1. Power off the camera and then power it on, holding the RESET button for 10 seconds to factory reset the camera.
    2. Go to the phone's Settings > Wi-Fi page to check if you can connect to the camera's default SSID(Tapo_Cam_XXXX). If so, connect to it and go back to the phone to continue the setup process.
    3. Move the camera to a different location for a try.

Case 2. Unable to connect to your Tapo camera Wi-Fi

1. Move the phone close to the Tapo Camera.
    2. Disable the VPN on your phone if there is one.
    3. Go to the phone's Settings > Wi-Fi page to connect to the default SSID manually.
    4. Try a different phone if you have one.

Case 3. Can't find the Wi-Fi name of the router

1. Ensure the router's Wi-Fi network is an encrypted 2.4GHz network, and the Wi-Fi signal strength is adequate.
    2. Tap "Rescan" on the Tapo app to refresh the Wi-Fi list multiple times to see if you can find it.
    3. Enter the router's Wi-Fi name and password manually to connect to it.
    4. Change the router's 2.4G channel to within 1-11.

Case 4. Cannot connect Tapo Cam to the router's network

1. Move the Tapo camera close to the router if possible, and ensure it has a strong Wi-Fi signal.
    2. Ensure you have entered the correct password.
    3. Disable the VPN on your phone if there is one.
    4. Disable the special settings on the router for a try, such as MAC Filtering, Firewall rules, smart connect, etc.

Case 5. "Pairing failed" or "Failed to receive an IP address"

1. Check the LED status on the camera and follow the instructions on the prompt error message to troubleshoot.
    2. Ensure your router is working, and disable the special settings on it for a try, such as MAC Filtering, Firewall rules, smart connect, etc.

If the battery-powered cameras fail to pair with the Tapo H200, you may refer to this article to troubleshoot.
What can I do if the battery-powered cameras fail to pair with the Tapo H200?

For more detailed troubleshooting, please refer to this article:  What should I do if I fail to configure Tapo Camera?

Comment
upload
    upload