How do I choose the storage options for my Tapo & Kasa cameras?

Used Products:
× 1
General Product

Using a camera to protect your home property and record all your precious moments is a valuable thing and this is why choosing the right storage plan is so important. Our Kasa and Tapo cameras provide robust systems for storing video recordings locally and in the cloud server. Here we introduce the storage options supported by our cameras and common usage scenarios, hoping to help answer some of your most pressing questions about storage.

What storage options do Tapo & Kasa cameras support?

Cloud Storage Option:   

Tapo and Kasa offer Cloud Storage through their subscription options. Besides bringing more advanced features such as Rich Notifications and Video Sharing, these services allow you to store up to 30 Days of Event Recordings in the cloud.
Learn More About the Benefits of Tapo Care | Learn More About the Benefits of Kasa Care

Note: The cloud storage option does not support storing continuous recordings.

SD Card Storage Option:   

The Tapo & Kasa cameras with a microSD card slot can store continuous and event recordings to the inserted microSD card.

To choose a suitable microSD card to work with the Tapo or Kasa camera, please refer to the instructions below.
General Information about using MicroSD Cards with TP-Link’s Kasa or Tapo Cameras

Below are the instructions to view video recordings on the Tapo or Kasa app.
How can I view continuous recordings of Tapo & Kasa cameras on the Tapo app?
How to View the Recordings on a Kasa Camera?

Tapo ONVIF/RTSP Compatibility:  

Some Tapo Cameras that use a hardwired power connection are compatible with the ONVIF and RTSP Protocols. This feature will allow users to record Video Footage to a separate NVR over your local network.

Please check the camera's specifications or datasheet on the official website for ONVIF/RTSP compatibility before purchasing it. 

Below are the instructions to connect your Tapo camera to an NVR or view your Tapo camera on a PC via RTSP stream.
How can I connect my Tapo camera to a NAS or NVR?
How can I view my Tapo camera on PC through the RTSP stream?

Note: You cannot use Tapo Care, a MicroSD Card, and a Separate NVR simultaneously. For example, if you have subscribed to the Tapo Care service and inserted a MicroSD into the camera, the NVR(RTSP/ONVIF) stream can't be established.

What storage options can I choose for my Tapo & Kasa camera?

There are typically usage scenarios for reference.

Scenario 1:

If you do not have a MicroSD card or a separate NVR/NAS or only want to store event recordings for some days, then subscribing to the Tapo Care or Kasa Care service suits your usage scenario.

Scenario 2:

If your camera has a MicroSD card slot and you want to store continuous recordings (such as 24/7 recordings), then the SD Card Storage Option is suited for you.

Scenario 3:

If you have a Tapo camera that uses a hardwired power connection and wants to watch the camera with a third-party NAS/NVR that supports standard ONVIF/RTSP protocols so that you can watch different brands of cameras together, you can choose to configure the related settings on the Tapo app to connect the camera to a NAS/NVR, and the storage configurations should be set up on the NAS/NVR.

Scenario 4:

If you want to store event recordings and also store continuous recordings as a backup, then you can subscribe to the Tapo/Kasa Care service and use the SD Card Storage option simultaneously.

More Articles:

General Questions about the Tapo Camera
General Questions related to Kasa Smart Cameras
General Questions about Tapo Care
General Questions about Kasa Care 

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.

Comment

Can Tapo cameras be added to a Kasa Plan?

The Smart Camera FAQ page doesn't mention a Tapo equivalent. The product comparison pages (which are generally full of errors and missing information) make no mention.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/

@MikeOz 

Tapo is not supported in the Kasa App. However, if you own both Tapo and Kasa cameras, try to use the latest Tapo 3.0 App as it supports managing Kasa devices now!

Kasa camera can be added to Tapo care cloud subscription.

Meet Brand-New Tapo 3.0 App

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
upload
    upload
      Subscriptions