MicroSD storage card speed/capacity recommendations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-08 04:06:26 - last edited 2023-09-08 04:12:48
Model: Tapo C325WB  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Im after some end-user feedback here, I am newly venturing into this area of smart home security cameras and I really want to know what people's experiences have been with particular MicroSD cards (speed, storage size recommendations) - the only real information I can find in the International TP-Link page seems a little vague and maybe outdated (2021) - Im looking into the 2K QHD 4MP cameras, in particular, running at full-max Quality settings and wondering what file sizes I should anticipate for a motion detected battery cam vs a wired 24/7 - the only information I found is below.

General Information about using MicroSD Cards with TP-Link’s Kasa or Tapo Cameras?

05-08-2021

https://www.tapo.com/au/faq/111/ 

The max resolution listed in that article is smaller than the newer 2K QHD 4MP cams and I have ordered my first cam a 'Tapo C325WB' this is a motion-detected cam only so what brand/size SD should I be running if I wanted a minimum 7-day cycle before it overwrites its self running at highest 2K setting?

Obviously, if I was going to invest in the battery recharge-able models that share one hub, I would just go for the max 512GB and be done with it set/forget ( imagine) but if you look at the other brand that gets sold "youeffeee"" 2k equiv battery jobs, their hub comes with 16GB <- that seems really small amount for two 2K cameras, so it really got me thinking what min size is recommended for the different models below 

If you own any of these models below or similar and have experiences as the what make/model of SD Card you have, how many GBs and days on average before it overwrites itself

I'm going to buy a few SD card-only models and buying multiple SD cards the cost will add up quickly if I go overboard  - I want to have enough storage but not over the top either.

Thanks, Lee

Tapo C325WB (is 64GB enough or should I go 128GB or even 512GB - How many days of backup would I get?)
Outdoor Security Wi-Fi Camera
https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/cloud-camera/tapo-c325wb/

Tapo C520WS (is 64GB enough?)

Outdoor Pan/Tilt Security Wi-Fi Camera
https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/cloud-camera/tapo-c520ws/v1/

Tapo C225  (is 32GB enough?)
Indoor Pan/Tilt AI Home Security Wi-Fi Camera
https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/cloud-camera/tapo-c225/

What SD cards work good, my local electronics dealer has only two competing brands, but 10 different models (its ludicrous and confusing and prices varies)

• Samsung Evo
  • Samsung Evo Plus
  • Samsung Pro Plus
  • Samsung Pro Endurance
  • SanDisk Extreme PLUS
  • SanDisk MAX ENDURANCE
  • SanDisk HIGH ENDURANCE
  • SanDisk Extreme PRO
Options
7 Reply
Re:MicroSD storage card speed/capacity recommendations
2023-09-08 11:25:46

@Nielo 

Hi,
1. Thank you very much for your feedback about the FAQ, and I'll forward it to the related team to evaluate and update the information on the FAQ.

2. Currently, our Tapo battery-powered cameras, such as the Tapo C420, and C400, do not support the continuous recording feature, and they support saving the detection video recordings to the microSD card only. Other Tapo Cameras not only support the continuously recording feature but also support recording the detected events only.
Since in different usage scenarios, the number of the detected events is different, it's hard to say what capacity of the microSD card is recommended for your usage scenario.

3. Based on the resolution of the Tapo C325WB/C520WS/C225, if you want to record the video at 2K quality for 7 days continuously(24H), the 128GB microSD card may be suited for you.
If you only want to record the detected events, the 64GB microSD card may be suited for you, and you can choose a larger or smaller one based on how often your camera detects events.
If you worry about the video recordings saved into the microSD card being overwritten, you can turn off the Loop Recording feature on the Tapo app for your camera.

4. The Samsung EVO microSD card is still not supported on all cameras. It's suggested to look carefully at the microSD card website, and the warranty of the microSD card may state that it's not covered when using on security camera.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-08 19:35:55

@Solla-topee thank you 🙏

Options
2023-09-11 09:54:57

@Nielo You are welcome! smiley

Options
2023-10-04 21:36:34

@Solla-topee 

If the loop record feature is turned on does that mean that card will not overflow and that the oldest recordings will be overwritten? 

Options
2023-10-04 22:17:47

@BillBecher supposedly, Yes

Options
2023-10-09 12:16:16

@BillBecher 

Hi,
When the Loop Recording feature is enabled on the Tapo app>microSD card page, the new recordings will overwrite the oldest recordings when storage is not enough.
Best Regards

Options
2023-10-19 20:13:47

@Nielo 

Of course, it certainly isn't an honor for a Taiwanese company not to put in a nice Samsung EVO, but writing it when you sell on Amazon I don't think it would be a thing. It's very bad because here in Italy we say it's a scam.
But we are talking about a big brand and having it written on the cameras in the information????
Damn I'm so angry I canceled the order of a Samsung EVO microSXDC 256gb! At €20.30.
To order a SanDisk 256GB Ultra microSDXC card
Do you have any idea that you were doing me harm? not only economical but to have subsequent problems?.
At this point I also cancel the order of the C520WS. I'm sorry but I don't have time to waste. Customer information is a commercial obligation
Crazy stuff and sorry, but these are commercial things that as a trader and I sell that don't suit me.

Friendly

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 12540

Replies: 7

Related Articles