Alexa cannot discover existing Tapo devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-16 15:45:59 - last edited 2024-01-17 02:41:58

I've successfully set up my devices in the Tapo app and I want to control them using my Amazon Echo device. Even after adding the Tapo skill in the Alexa app and linking my TP-Link account, Alexa still cannot discover any of the existing devices in my Tapo app/account.

But if I add a new device via the Tapo app after linking to Alexa, the new device will then automatically show up in the Alexa app. This is a problem because I don't want to remove and re-add all my Tapo devices just so they'll appear in Alexa as a workaround. I have over 30 devices and some are in difficult to reach places so re-adding them won't be easy.

Is there a server issue that's why Alexa can't discover existing devices or is the Tapo skill broken? Or is there a way to force the "adding of device" event without actually removing a device and re-pairing just so that Alexa will think there are new Tapo devices.

I tried it on both iOS and Android and it's still the same. Just to add, all Tapo devices can be discovered using SmartThings and Google Home.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Alexa cannot discover existing Tapo devices
2024-01-17 07:36:25

@M24 

Make sure you have entered the correct TP-Link account when linking Tapo with Alexa. In Tapo App, go to Me page, you can find out which email is used as your TP-Link App.

What kind of Tapo devices do you have? 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
2024-01-17 07:57:34

@Wayne-TP Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm sure it's the correct TP-Link account because I only have 1 account so there shouldn't be any issues. I've tried linking with the app and through the web browser as well.

I have 21 P110 Smart Plugs, 1 H100 Smart Hub, 3 T110 Contact sensors, 2 T310 Temp and Humidity Sensors, 1 T100 Motion Sensor, and 4 S200B Buttons. They all show up in SmartThings and Google Home but they all can't be detected by Alexa. What is weird is when I add a new device Alexa will see it. But any existing device can't be detected on first link.

Options
2024-01-18 07:12:43

@Wayne-TP Also, it will be a pain to reset all the plugs because that will cause the plugs to lose the energy monitoring data. Is there a way to manually trigger the new device event for old devices so Alexa will receive them as new devices?

Options
2024-01-19 10:06:26

@M24 

We would like to escalate your case to the support engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox later and respond. 

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 758

Replies: 4

Related Articles