Changing wifi networks once set up?

2024-02-03 21:23:33 - last edited 2024-02-29 09:12:04
Model: Tapo C520WS  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hey,

I have several Tapo cameras set up outside, how do I change the wifi network they are connected to currently - to another wifi network (extender) I have closer with stronger signal?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Changing wifi networks once set up?-Solution
2024-02-04 10:11:09 - last edited 2024-02-29 09:12:04

@Contraband 

Hi,
To change the Wi-Fi network connection, it's required to factory reset the camera and reconfigure it. 

You can try to remove the camera from the Tapo app to reset it, and then reconfigure it on the Tapo app to connect it to the new Wi-Fi network.
How to reset my Tapo camera? (Method 2: Remove the camera via the Tapo App)
How to Set Up Your Outdoor Pan&Tilt Security Wi-Fi Camera (Tapo C520WS)

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Changing wifi networks once set up?-Solution
2024-02-04 10:11:09 - last edited 2024-02-29 09:12:04

@Contraband 

Hi,
To change the Wi-Fi network connection, it's required to factory reset the camera and reconfigure it. 

You can try to remove the camera from the Tapo app to reset it, and then reconfigure it on the Tapo app to connect it to the new Wi-Fi network.
How to reset my Tapo camera? (Method 2: Remove the camera via the Tapo App)
How to Set Up Your Outdoor Pan&Tilt Security Wi-Fi Camera (Tapo C520WS)

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Changing wifi networks once set up?
2024-07-04 06:41:27 - last edited 2024-07-04 06:42:06

@Solla-topee

This is very pathetic that reputed company like TPLink don't have feature/facility to changing the WiFi N/W/HotSpot/AP "WITHOUT RESETING the device".

@Contraband I have similar kind of problem. I also travel and wanted to take this camera with me, basically I want to use this camera at two different locations/places (I want to keep surveillance on my car, since someone is doing scratching during night time, and I want to find it out)  So I bought Tapo C500 on 27/06/24, but when I received this device during setup I found out that, once it setup with one WiFi, it doesn't have this 'Changing WiFi AP' feature. Since I use two different WiFi routers at these two different places. So now because of this pathetic inability of TPLink cameras, I left with only two options, either I have to purchase new camera (which definitely I will never go with TPlink again and never recommend this brand to anyone in future ever), or I have to use it by RESETTING and SETTING again and again whenever I travel between these two places.

Now I am badly regretting to purchase this Tapo C500 and spend almost 1K more that other similar kind of WiFi cameras which have this feature and plenty of other features.

I really wanted to return this pathetic device but until I found out this camera deficiency, return window got closed. It's very sad. Now I have to RESET this device every time I want to connect to new WiFi.

Other low cost Chinese cameras and Clones and even my old purchase of V380Pro also have this feature to change WiFi network for camera at any point (once you setup). using their very user friendly App. Unlike this TPLink Tapo which only shows name of Hotspot/network to which camera is connected, no facility to change it from there. In V380 Pro there is no need to open screws and press RESET button and then setup it again. You just need to go to V380 Pro App. Select your already setup camera and by going into settings you can connect to any other WiFi available at that time.

But this reputed company TPLink just disappointed me with their inflexibility of software.

@Solla-topee ".... To change the Wi-Fi network connection, it's required to factory reset the camera and reconfigure it............"

This is not a proud thing that you should boast about your company in the name of Security feature. Software should be flexible, and if you take more bucks from customers than other cheap companies then you should at least honestly provide that quality of features.

If you add this kind of features in future firmware upgrades it is well and good otherwise all the best with your business.

Options
2024-07-04 10:22:24 - last edited 2024-07-04 10:22:56

@celeritas_216 

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback here. You can vote on this thread or leave your comment, and we will keep logging and forward the request to the relevant team to evaluate and improve our product.
Best Regards

Options
2024-07-13 12:35:03

@celeritas_216 

yes, it's crazy that they've left something so basic out of the app/camera. 

Options
2024-07-15 05:18:20

@ANdro12 @Contraband 

I am also regretting purchasing this TPLink's Tapo camera. 

I also raised this issue to their (TPLink's) support department (via email). I only received the Ticket number [TKID240708800] with Automatic Reply with following message.

"...........Thank you for contacting the TP-Link Support team. Your case has been recorded in our email system. Since the serious Covid-19 situation, we are facing hugh service pressure. But we will get back to you as soon as possible........."

I have copy-pasted this message from my Inbox. Look at their seriousness, they don't even have spellcheck system.laugh

And surprisingly still in 2024, They are facing pandemic situation and "hugh service pressure"wink

Even after 11 days from raising this issue to TPLink Support, they haven't bothered to provide any "Real" response.

@Solla-topee

Salute to their Professionalism.no

Options
2024-07-17 10:16:35

@celeritas_216 

Hi,
What problem do you have with your Tapo camera? Please let me know your model number and describe your problem in detail, I'll help you solve the issue.
If you want to change the Wi-Fi network the camera is connected to, you can try factory resetting the camera and reconfiguring it.
Best Regards

Options
2024-07-18 06:29:53

@Solla-topee 

Just scroll above in this thread to see previous replies of people on this thread. "Changing WiFi networks once set up?"

and you already replied me earlier.

"TP-Link' doesn't have the feature/facility to change the WiFi Network "WITHOUT RESETTING the device" in their Smart Camera App. Even local/cheap Chinese brands/companies provide this feature in their low cost WiFi cameras"

These are the community forum threads talking about this issue 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/653928

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/660088

My suggestion is if you provide this feature in your future firmware upgrades, this issue will be solved.

It is very time consuming and annoying that you have to reset the camera again and again just to change the WiFi network. Or suppose if password of network is changed TPLink camera has no facility to update it unless you RESET the camera and add it in app again.

There should be feature in TPLink camera App for change/update the WiFi network/password for already set-up camera.

Hope you have understood the issue. I hope your company add this feature in future updates. 

Regards

Options
2024-07-18 07:09:44

@celeritas_216 

totally agree, TP link you need to understand that you've got an outdoor camera, mine for example are mounted high and not accessible without a ladder. It's really inconvenient to reset the whole camera to do something as simple as doing this. 

Options
2024-07-19 04:08:54

@celeritas_216  @Contraband 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your feedback. For your request, it's recommended to vote or leave comments in the thread "Need to change Wifi SSID without resetting the Cameras". 
We don't have any specific details I can share about whether this feature will be added in future firmware releases or when it will be added. However, I will continue to record this request and forward it to the relevant department for evaluation to improve our products.
Best Regards

Options
2024-07-26 10:07:04

@Contraband 

I have exactly the same issue. Camera mounted high up and need a ladder to access it. Then unscrew it from the mount. Then unscrew the panel. 

I can't believe this.. I genuinely can't believe how this basic feature (being able to change the Wi-Fi network for the camera via the app) isn't provided?! Especially for a product from a company such as TP-Link?!

Please provide this functionality ASAP via software updates.

C500 

Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 13039

Replies: 13

Related Articles