How to identify cause of false alerts and no alerts

2024-06-03 16:02:40 - last edited 2024-07-02 03:06:12
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.17

2 issues.

First - I have a camera that is getting a lot of false alerts.  I previously had a panasonic homehawk window cam and that had flashing boxes on playback that would highlight what "motion" the camera saw that triggered the event.  Is there any chance somethign similar can be added to Tapo so I can see what is triggering the events?

Second - I am missing a lot of the beginning of events and the recording is only catching the tail end, or I am catching the beginning of an event and then the camera stops recording while the event is still occuring.

I have tried a range of settings changes for both of the above problems, but it hasn't addressed the issues.  I currently have the settings set to capture as much as possible, but the cameras still seem to either record a lot of nothing or are still missing events.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to identify cause of false alerts and no alerts-Solution
2024-06-05 09:45:01 - last edited 2024-07-02 03:06:12

@anonemoose 

Tapo C420 is a battery-powered camera, its detection mechanism differs from the wired cameras. It's important to pay attention to the camera's installation angle, as this may affect the accuracy of the camera detection. Check this article to learn more about this topic: How to Install and Configure Battery-Powered Cameras for Optimal Detection Performance

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to identify cause of false alerts and no alerts-Solution
2024-06-05 09:45:01 - last edited 2024-07-02 03:06:12

@anonemoose 

Tapo C420 is a battery-powered camera, its detection mechanism differs from the wired cameras. It's important to pay attention to the camera's installation angle, as this may affect the accuracy of the camera detection. Check this article to learn more about this topic: How to Install and Configure Battery-Powered Cameras for Optimal Detection Performance

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to identify cause of false alerts and no alerts
2024-06-05 11:03:47

Wayne-TP wrote

@anonemoose 

@Wayne-TP 

Hi Wayne,

I did that.  I have 1 camera installed on the front of my house and another on the rear of my house.  Both are installed the same way, yet work completely differently.  Botj have the same settings, but one seems to pick up a lot of stuff and records almost nonstop nonevents and the other misses a lot of actual events.

As I said, the Panasonic himehawk camera I had before highlighted the area on playback that was the cause of the event trigger, so I could see clearly what the cause was.  I noticed tapo doesn't not show that same info, so I can't tell what the camera is seeing as the triggering event.

I am also concerned by missed events.  Perhaps the tapo cams are more suited to something other than use as a actual security cam???

Options
Re:How to identify cause of false alerts and no alerts
2024-06-07 07:02:30

@anonemoose 

Can you share your detection settings here? Please also provide some pictures and false/incomplete detection video to me via PM.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 226

Replies: 3

Related Articles