tapo devices not remaining connected to router - intermittent reconnection

Yesterday - last edited Yesterday

Hi. I have a number of P110, and HS110 plugs, along with L530 and L510 light bulbs, and a light strip. 

Since getting all the light bulbs, which are now all over my house, my wifi has had constant problems in that these devices are often plagued with serious lag when using them in conjunction with amazon devices, for voice commands. 

I use the power plugs to run the major hubs of my house, like 'loungeroom', 'bedroom', 'office' etc and turn them off completely when not in use. But lately it is having massive lag in when it responds to a command, if it responds at all. I should clarify, the amazon device is reponding immediately, but the tapo devices are not. Or are very inconsistent in doing so. 

Just today I told it several times to turn on one of these plugs which provides power to my garage roller door, and it said it did, but my clicker would not open it.  After several attempts while im waiting in my car after just arriving home, and after it previously working perfectly in the past, i pulled out my phone to look at the app, and it tells me that this particular plug was now 'offline'. So i've no choice but to get out of my car, unlock my front door, and get into the house that way just to get into the garage and manually press the power button on the 'smart' plug.  

After getting the car in, and locking the front door again, i returned to the garage and again asked the amazon device to turn the power off / on to the garage and it immediately responded, and so did the tapo plug. 

I noted that one of my other plugs had also shown up as 'offline' and went to it and pulled it out of the wall, and pushed it back in, and moments later it was reconnected to my wifi again. Incidentally, the wifi router was immediately above that plug! 

I should add that I do have a new router, and I am persusing this with that manufacturer, but it is a $1500 AUD wifi 7 router also. It should be more than capable of dealing with the 30 or so devices I have connected to it. It is an Asus GT-BE98 Pro. 

That said, when I look at the client list, I note that several of the tapo devices are connected for less than a few minutes, while other devices, like my amazon devices, have been connected for 47+ hours.  

Is it normal that tapo devices are only connected for a few minutes at a time, loosing connection, and reconnecting themselves? Is it this process that is causing something of a flood on my wifi network, that is then causing all this lag with them?

I am really considering removing them entirely from my network and going with another brand, despite hasving used tplink kasa and now tapo switches for some years, i have had my share of failures with the plugs, and now this kind of behaviour I'm kind of at my wits end with them. 

I really hope you guys have some ideas that change my mind :\

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15

Replies: 0

Related Articles