New to Powerline, bandwidth questions, extension questions, questions...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-12 02:38:40
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,
We recently purchased Powerline adapters for the place we're renting, and I just have a few questions. We have AV2000 Powerline adapters, currently 2 of them. One on the router end(Of course), and one in my bedroom. We want to add two more, one for our office, and one for my stepson's bedroom. So here are my questions:

1. The bandwidth of this unit is up to 2000 Mbps. Is that per "node"? It looks like I can install 16 nodes. So in my situation, would each of the 3 rooms have the 2000 Mbps bandwidth, or would they each have 666.6666666 Mbps?

2. Does each port have the full bandwidth, or is it 'up to 2000 Mbps total', so 1000 Mbps per port?

3. How do the ports work? The ports on my router are 1 Gbps ports, if I hook both ports of the Powerline unit on the router end, will that double the bandwidth it uses, or will that create a total crash of my network?

4. To hook up the extra two units, I'm assuming that I can pair them to the same one connected to the router, but is there any benefit to buying another one as the transmitting unit, or does having multiple paired powerlines on the same network cause issues, and I should just stick with one connected to the router and a series of "nodes" throughout my townhome?

5. When pairing extra units, do I pair to any of the other nodes, or should I pair to the "main" one connected to the router.

In the long run, I am not going to have everyone in my house using this much data at once, but this will make me understand how the system works, so any help clearing these things up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Options
2 Reply
Re:New to Powerline, bandwidth questions, extension questions, questions...
2018-06-12 18:48:50
1. The bandwidth on the box is the theoretical maximum - and PLC is a shared media, so bandwidth is there once for everyone and everything, exactly like WLAN. Also exactly like on WLAN, the nature of shared-media network kind of implies that actual payload throughput will be about one third of the media bandwidth. Bandwidth usage happens when data are transferred, there are no preallocated slices.
2. See above - as soon as you transfer through PLC, bandwidth is shared. Port-to-port gigabit ethernet traffic on the same PLC adapter will go directly from one LAN port to the other, not affecting PLC throughput.
3. No port aggregation. There's no point anyway, since real life throughput on AV2000 PLC will never exceed wired gigabit ethernet throughput.
4. Multiple, separate PLC networks can be done, but not with consumer PLC equipment as sold here. Make them all one network.
5. Consumer PLC networks have all units as equal peers, so it doesn't really matter which one of the already-paired units welcomes the new one.
Options
Re:New to Powerline, bandwidth questions, extension questions, questions...
2018-06-12 23:03:26
Awesome! I pretty much figured that those were all of the answers that I would get, I just wanted to make sure I understood the setup correctly, especially if it turned out that I was missing out on some kind of extra bonus feature or something. Thanks for the reply, that clears everything up. :-)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 737

Replies: 2

Related Articles