Archer C2300 to Nord Vpn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C2300 to Nord Vpn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer C2300 to Nord Vpn
Archer C2300 to Nord Vpn
2019-01-09 19:26:11

Hi

I'm a newbie at this and I cannot seem to find a work around... I have a Archer C2300 plugged into my Xfinity Gateway via ethernet cable, I want to use Nordvpn through my router not through Xfinity, I went to the help section on Nord website and the router is no longer supported..is there a work around for this? I have 2 more years subscribed to my vpn and would like to use it.

Thanls

Options
1 Reply
Re:Archer C2300 to Nord Vpn
2019-01-10 16:51:38 - last edited 2019-01-14 19:04:26

@DinaL1759 

Hi,

As of December 1st, 2018, NordVPN discontinued support for common VPN protocols L2TP/IPsec and PPTP. As a result for the time being  most home routers are no longer compatible with NordVPN unless running third-party or custom firmware that is not designed by the router manufacturers, which NordVPN has specifically identified as compatible. For more information regarding this topic, please see their official statement here.

If you visit NordVPN's webpage for "Not supported routers" here, you will find a substantially sizable list of some of the biggest names in the home networking field. Interestingly enough, NordVPN decided to leave Netgear off of this "Not supported" list, and instead have a separate page here for "Netgear setup", in which they clearly state Netgear routers are also not supported (unless using non-Netgear, third-party firmware that NordVPN specified as compatible). 

Please bear in mind the L2TP and PPTP dialing modes on the Archer C2300 only ever supported unencrypted connections. This dialing mode is sometimes used for specific ISPs with particular application requirements; however setting up a private VPN server that accepts unencrypted data is extremely rare. These WAN/Internet dialing methods were not intentionally or specifically designed by TP-Link with the intent for NordVPN compatibility; however, due to NordVPN's previous support for such dialing methods, users found a way to make the connection work. Unfortunately, we have no control over whether NordVPN decides to stop supporting specific protocols.

We hope you'll continue to consider our great WiFi routers for use in your home network. We understand the importance of privacy and the rising interest in VPN connectivity for customers and we have plans to introduce new VPN Client features for some router models; however we can't provide specific details at this time. Please stay tuned!

With regards to your concerns about your remaining subscription, we suggest contacting NordVPN for more information.

Thank you,

Ryan | TP-Link Support

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8135

Replies: 1