Deco M9 VPN support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 VPN support

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
53 Reply
Re:Deco M9 VPN support
2019-08-20 00:46:00

For those posting about VPN support (or lack thereof), are you stating that you cannot configure your M9 to route all traffic over a VPN, or that the router is blocking VPN traffic at the client level?  I was considering purchasing the M9 today and reading up on it.  I work from home and am recuired to use a client based VPN on my work PC to access our corporate network.  Is the M9 going to interfere with this?

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 VPN support
2019-08-20 04:55:24 - last edited 2019-08-20 04:56:23

Clouser, you should be fine. The M9 lacks VPN server, you can still connect to your corporate network. It's just that you cannot host a VPN tunnel.

Had it been the other way around, that you have files on your home network which you need to access from work, it wouldn't have worked.

Clouser wrote

For those posting about VPN support (or lack thereof), are you stating that you cannot configure your M9 to route all traffic over a VPN, or that the router is blocking VPN traffic at the client level?  I was considering purchasing the M9 today and reading up on it.  I work from home and am recuired to use a client based VPN on my work PC to access our corporate network.  Is the M9 going to interfere with this?

Options
2019-08-20 19:08:53

This is what I'm waiting for as well. If they give me a rough estimate on the date than I can go ahead and get my M9

Options
2019-08-27 22:17:32

Currently our routers (none of them) have VPN client functions,  However they all can act as VPN passthroughs.  As long as your VPN is IPsec, PPTP or L2TP you should have no issue accessing your VPN through your client devices, as long as they have client software installed. 

Options
2019-08-28 02:25:13 - last edited 2019-08-28 02:28:38

Carl wrote

Currently our routers (none of them) have VPN client functions,  However they all can act as VPN passthroughs.  As long as your VPN is IPsec, PPTP or L2TP you should have no issue accessing your VPN through your client devices, as long as they have client software installed. 

What do you mean that none of your routers have VPN client functions? You have multiple help articles about setting VPN tunnels to other routers and redirect traffic to VPN provider's servers. 

Of course, we can set up VPN client software for every device but not convenient or safe at all. The clients crash all the time, and sometimes you just forget to use it. Most safest option is always to set these straight to network device level. 

Does your message mean this is a feature that is not coming to TP-link Deco -devices? The second message in this thread is kind of promising this feature in upcoming updates.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 VPN support
2019-08-28 12:09:38

How well do you think it would work if they did add a openvpn service to the M9? I added my vpn (pia) to a Asus AC1900 using openvpn on the router software, just to see what speeds I was getting around 40-60mbps on the VPN hardwired. Without the VPN I'm getting 450mbps down / 22mbps up (this is what I'm paying for through my ISP), I know the AC1900 is a bit older. But if I just use the desktop version of my vpn, I'm getting around 180m down (HP spectre X360 15). Do y'all think the M9 hardware would be able to reach around 180mbps on a vpn? My apologies if this is a stupid question, just recently learning about vpn and using them at the router level. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 VPN support
2019-08-28 19:13:43

@Rantakemisti 

Yes for our Business class VPN routers. On the articles on our FAQ section if you click on the arrow next to "the article applies to"  you will see the routers and version that it will work with. Home routers are another question which is what this particular forum is supporting. At this time none of our Home class routers have VPN client options.  We never say never in this business as new features are always being added.  I cannot say if or when VPN Client features will be added to Home routers but if we get any infromation we will be happy to share that with our customers. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 VPN support
2019-08-28 20:00:16

I was under the impression I purchased TP-links premium Mesh system for consumers. That's why I got the M9 and not one of the cheaper ones. Even the Technicolor router I got for free when I got my Internet subscription has more advanced features.

To be frank I'm a bit disappointed at the features at this price point.

Options
2019-09-06 15:52:38

Hi @Tony ,

Are there any updates you can share on the status of enablement of VPN for the Deco series?

Options
2019-09-09 14:27:23

Update on this please? Want to setup VPN tunnel at router level instead of setting up for each client. 

Options
Related Articles