What are the DOWNSIDES to using the Deco in access point mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-24 03:44:38

What are the DOWNSIDES to using the Deco in access point mode?  My XFINITY router offers features that are lost in BRIDGE MODE which I am using now.  By putting the Deco M5's in AP mode what will I be losing?  I know router mode is preferred  but what do I lose in AP mode?

Options
4 Reply
Re:What are the DOWNSIDES to using the Deco in access point mode?
2019-03-25 18:05:28

@RetiredInFl 

The major downside is that all router and HomeCare functions cease to function.  This means HomeCare features such as the QOS, AV, Parentals Controls as well as router funtions like Port Forwarding will not work while in AP mode.  The wireless funtions and Mesh type connection still function though 

Options
2019-09-14 02:11:21

@Carl 

I have CAT6 Ethernet in every room of my home and would like to utilize it for backhaul for mesh. The only product I see from TP is the deco line that would support that (gigabit Ethernet, not 10/100). Using an Archer A7 v5 as main router, and deco units in AP mode, hardwired back to router, do you still lose the parental, QoS, etc? Shouldn’t the decos just follow the rules of the main router? Also, in the Tether app, are you able to see clients on the decos behind the A7 router?

Options
2019-09-14 18:21:30

@Kvlou 

That's correct, I do that as well. Use your normal router and setup M5 in AP model. However you can't get a straight answer from support if fast roaming works or not; some say yes, some say no. And they won't send that question up to true tech support.

Options
2019-09-16 22:30:47

@Kvlou 

Yes but make sure you check the specs on the Deco pacakge.  We have a few that are Fast Ethernet ports.  If the Deco has Gigabit ports it will either say Gigabit or 10/100/1000 on the package.  ones with fast will say either just Ethernet or 10/100.  If you are looking for just APs the Deco M4 would be your best most cost effective choice Although the A7 just got a Firmware update for OneMesh.  You could purchase a couple RE300s or RE220s and use those devices with your A7 for OneMesh.  Although with OneMesh there is no Ethernet Backhaul.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6503

Replies: 4